Mandriva - suddenly ignoring USB camera? [solved]

GekkoGeck0

I'm running Mandriva 2006 and KDE 3.5.1. I have a HP Photosmart 620 camera that, shortly after I would plug it in, KDE would pop up and tell me that it has detected a new device, and asking me what I want to do with it. I have the camera in "hard disk" mode. From that point I can pull up Konquerer and pull the pictures off of the camera.

Well, it just stopped working a short while ago (I don't have an exact timeline since I haven't plugged in the camera for a while). I am not very knowledgable about USB devices and mounting them with Linux since I started working with it, because the 2.4.x kernel that I started out with would never detect USB devices on my motherboard, so I'm just starting to learn now.

My basic understanding is that when the camera is plugged in, a few programs that are required load, but the device never makes it into the fstab and therefore neither KDE or I can attempt to mount the device.

A dmesg on camera plugin results in this:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 10

scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

usb-storage: device found at 10

usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

Vendor: hp Model: photosmart 620 Rev: 100

Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

SCSI device sda: 14017 512-byte hdwr sectors (7 MB)

sda: Write Protect is off

sda: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08

sda: assuming drive cache: write through

/dev/scsi/host6/bus0/target0/lun0: p1

Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0

usb-storage: device scan complete

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]

parport0: irq 7 detected

ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

ppdev0: registered pardevice

ppdev0: unregistered pardevice

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 11

scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

usb-storage: device found at 11

usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

Vendor: hp Model: photosmart 620 Rev: 100

Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

/dev/scsi/host7/bus0/target0/lun0: p1

Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi7, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi7, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0

usb-storage: device scan complete

usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 11

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12

Any help with this would be appreciated since I'm a bit lost in this territory.

Edited by GekkoGeck0

First of all, make sure the HardDrake service is running. I have problems with USB devices unless this is enabled.

chkconfig --list harddrake

and it should look something like this:

[root@europa ian]# chkconfig --list harddrake
harddrake	   0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off

Also, try System/Configuration/Hardware/Removable Storage. In here there are options about mounting removable drives when hotplugged, etc. I have the top two options turned on. I did have auto-run as well, but I turned this off because I hated the popup asking me if I wanted to import my pictures.

It is possible that a storage error is occuring.

Try using another memory stick in your camera and see if it mounts that. If it does, then format your usual memory stick and try again.

Lets first make sure that the camera's memory is not to blame before tinkering with Mandriva...

First of all, make sure the HardDrake service is running. I have problems with USB devices unless this is enabled.

It's enabled and looks exactly like your example.

Also, try System/Configuration/Hardware/Removable Storage. In here there are options about mounting removable drives when hotplugged, etc. I have the top two options turned on. I did have auto-run as well, but I turned this off because I hated the popup asking me if I wanted to import my pictures.

Removable Storage does not exist in my KMenu anywhere, including where you specified.

What's the actual name/command for that option so I can run it from the command line?

Trying to poke around in the Mandriva Control Center resulted in it crashing. Not sure why that's happening, either.

It is possible that a storage error is occuring.

Try using another memory stick in your camera and see if it mounts that. If it does, then format your usual memory stick and try again.

I am not using a memory stick, just the camera's own memory. To be sure, I rebooted into Windows and took the pictures off the camera, then formatted the memory. I figured it had little to do with the camera anyway, since Windows detects it like it always has.

Still doesn't work in Linux. :wall:

I went to my menu entry and it's called:

/usr/bin/gnome-volume-properties

so maybe you can try running this. Or maybe it's not installed, which is why you don't get it.

Or maybe it's not installed, which is why you don't get it.

Looks like it's not installed.

I'll root around on the net, see if I can grab the RPM that has it, if it's not heavy on the dependencies. I take it, though, that it's dependent on having Gnome installed?

Edited by GekkoGeck0

It comes in a package called gnome-volume-manager. So just do this from the prompt:

urpmi gnome-volume-manager

it may install a load of other dependencies too.

Well, I ran gnome-volume-manager from a shell and got this output:

libhal.c 644 : Error connecting to system bus: No reply within specified time

** (gnome-volume-manager:6741): WARNING **: manager.c/960: failed to initialize HAL!

This is unknown territory for me.

Apparently others have been having similar issues, but...

http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=49835&

I, too, am using some SoS sources and I know for sure that I recently updated dbus with an SoS source (as of two days ago). I'm not sure whether or not I should downgrade, after reading that thread.

Edited by GekkoGeck0

If it is the SoS upgrades that have done this to my system (dbus and HAL), I have no idea how I am going to revert this, since I can't seem to find replacement packages for all of the SoS dbus and HAL related packages that I installed in my recent upgrade. I am not the only one having problems, apparently the packages have broken VMWare on other users' systems, according to the SoS forums.

I am just hoping this doesn't break anything else, because it looks like I'm stuck with these SoS RPMs until there's a fix or I find the replacement Mandriva RPMs that I can revert back to.

You can back out, but it will mean removing all the SoS rpm's you've installed. Anything like this is unofficial, and can cause problems with your machine. At best, you can classify them more or less the same as cooker - experimental and use with caution. If you want stability, I find it's best to stay with what comes with the distro. I'll wait for Mandriva 2007 before I use KDE 3.5.3, because I know that additional sources such as these, don't always work as you want.

Try and find a key part of the name, chances are they have sos in there or something, then you can do:

rpm -qa | grep sos

or type it as per the case in the filename, as it's case sensitive. Then, you can get this full list, and remove all of them, and then remove the urpmi sources for these repositories, and then go back to KDE 3.4 using the normal official urpmi sources.

You can back out, but it will mean removing all the SoS rpm's you've installed. Anything like this is unofficial, and can cause problems with your machine. At best, you can classify them more or less the same as cooker - experimental and use with caution. If you want stability, I find it's best to stay with what comes with the distro. I'll wait for Mandriva 2007 before I use KDE 3.5.3, because I know that additional sources such as these, don't always work as you want.

I just upgraded to 3.5.3 today, actually. I figured if USB isn't going to work until I figure a fix, I may as well start tinkering around with something interesting, because if it all goes to crap, it'll give me a really good reason to reinstall and get my USB back. :)

I did some investigating and the creator of the SoS RPMs said that some people have had issues with his HAL RPMs, so he had instructions on how to revert back to official Mandriva HAL RPMs without pulling everything apart. I did so, but I haven't rebooted/restarted HAL. I'll probably reboot soon enough, just taking a break from the whole KDE bit and trying to figure out a brand new (but only minorly irritating) issue with xscreensaver.

I'm anxiously waiting for 2007. It's getting better with every release, albeit slower (AMD Duron 1.1GHz and only 256MB RAM).

Well, I reverted back to the original HAL sources from Mandriva.

http://www.linuxfordummies.org/index.php?topic=509.0

After a reboot, this did not fix the problem. gnome-volume-manager wants the hald service to be running. In the Mandriva Control Center, I cannot find this service. How would I go about installing/running said service?

This also seems to tie in with dbus, like I mentioned above, so I pulled all the dbus RPMs off of the system, in much the same manner that the SoS creator suggested the HAL RPMs be removed in the above thread. Whatever wasn't covered by the original Mandriva RPMs was reinstalled from SoS (I'm not sure if the new versions of KDE require those SoS dbus RPMs that aren't distributed from Mandriva).

The good news in all of this is that in the middle of that installation process of the Mandriva dbus RPMs, KDE popped up with that message when I inserted the installation CD, telling me a new medium was detected and asked me what to do with it. This is good, that's what used to happen before, with new CDs, with my camera...

Problem is, my camera still doesn't get that dialog. I do not know if a reboot will solve that problem, or if it's this missing hald process that gnome-volume-manager keeps requesting.

Running gnome-volume-manager from the command line produces:

libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised

"Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

** (gnome-volume-manager:5948): WARNING **: manager.c/978: seems that HAL is not running

Mandriva Control Center lists haldaemon as running, but not hald. :wacko:

Edited by GekkoGeck0

A full reboot was all that was required after that. hald is now running and the camera mounts correctly and this time, it actually offers to pull the pictures off of the camera for me (perhaps a new feature of KDE 3.5.3?)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.