Black login screen

After uninstalling my ATI drivers i pressed the CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE keys to restart the X something (sorry forgot it was called) and now when i turn the PC on i am presented with a black logon screen, i logon then nothing happens i still have a black screen on the PC any one know what ive done wrong or how to correct this prob

thanks in advance

Did you use the Mandiva repositories to update and did you install the kernel-source matching your kernel? I believe the kernel module first needs to be compiled into the kernel so you might want to restart first.

Do you know how you can easily browse and edit files without a gui and how to use urpmi?

Edited by ffi

Yes i used the Mandriva repositories to update i then went to ati website for the driver aswell. i do not know how you can easily browse and edit files without a gui and how to use urpmi? as i am still new to linux i installed some time ago but due to college and studies i was unable to find time to get to know MAndrake a lot better so i thought whyle i have 10 weeks off i would Familiarise myself withit a lot better

thanks

try urpmi mc links this will hopefully install mc and links, with mc you can then browse files and edit text files from a sort of gui and with links you can browse the internet :)

which version of mandriva are you using?

edit: just remembered, things might be easier if you can get the gui running again, as root type XFdrake (case sensitive, capital X and F) and select the driver for your card...

Edited by ffi

I had edited my above post. I think easiest way would be to get a gui going and from there get the propietary ati driver. I am hoping XFdrake will do it, else you will have to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf as root, use mc to do that, find a section for your graphics cards and change the driver to "vesa".

this how it looks for my nvidia card to give you an idea, off course this won't work for you:

Section "Device"

Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600/GeForce 6600 GT]"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "RenderAccel" "true"

Option "NvAGP" "1"

Option "NoLogo" "1"

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

edit: I forgot there are 2 links packages in the repos: links and links2. Links2 is a lot faster for me than links, so try urpmi links2 and then links2

Edited by ffi

Here is an easy guide for using XFdrake:

http://www.brunolinux.com/06-Fine_Tuning_Y...ng_XFdrake.html (this sites has lot's of tips btw on using mandriva)

RUNNING XFDRAKE

( To reconfigure X in PCLos and Mandriva )

People running PCLos or Mandriva are lucky, when they loose X there is an easy tool to reconfigure it: "XFdrake"

Here is step by step what you need to know about running XFdrake:

- Boot in runlevel 3 ( See Booting in Runlevel 3 )

- Next at the prompt log in as "root" and type "XFdrake" ( case sensitive ) . . you will get a wizard to configure your graphics card and monitor . . . .

In general it will detect the correct settings, just check them ( move with the tab key and arrow keys ) . . . .

- Next, test the settings with the "Test"-button ( if you get a multicolored screen with an OK-box in the middle and you see the mouse cursor the settings are correct and you can click OK ) . . . . . . then close XFdrake.

- Finally log out as root with "Ctrl+D", log in as "user" and type "startx" . . . . and you should be back smiling again.

Bruno

PS: Running "XFdrake --auto" is a shortcut to the above and works on most common hardware.

-- Jun 4 2006 --

Ive just rebooted into mandrake and run the FXdrake command and nothing happened i will print off your advice and try again

Thanks

(ps i hope i dont have to do a re-install as my wireless card is a s**t to get working )

The problem is quite easy to solve but even if you are completely new. Did you ran XFdrake as root? To become root you have to type su followed by your root password.

(btw did you install links2? that way you won't have to reboot continiously but can browse the web from the terminal.)

Edited by ffi

Do you know what easy urpmi is and how to set it up? If you know how, I think the easiest thing would be to use the mandriva control center to install and set the driver. (you can access it from the menu or by typing mcc from a konsole)

easy urpmi http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php (btw: distrib-coffee is a good mirror to choose)

Edited by ffi

Thanks i know what easy urpmi is now ive been down that root b4 and that site you linked to me u tend to get forgetfull after a whyle of not using something new hopefully with my 10 weeks off i will lean a lot more about linux and remember a lot more

thanks 4 your help