installed 2006 core updates then updated with MDE

flarefox

It keeps trying to reinstall cups and the cups I have in there exits with status 127 every time it's called. None of the packages work. MDE doesn't have the libraries up there, so I disabled it, but it still doesn't work. URPMI freezes while trying to install. :( I would go back to the original one, but I'm not sure how, since when I try to uninstall and reinstall cups, the new install errors out the same way. If I try to reinstall the library it complains about (foomatic-db) it says I have to uninstall my whole kde install, which works just fine. Anyone have any pointers on how to get this working?

I'm not sure what to suggest, but I've moved this from installing mandriva to Mandriva Enhanced rpm's, as the problems started to occur after you installed the MDE rpms (so don't directly result to Installing Mandriva).

ah, ok.

I have video issues to point out with installation but I'll post that in the hardware topic. The biggest concern I have is getting my printer/scanner to work. It's frustrating to have all this hardware and be unable to use it when it is supported by the whole thing. And thanks for the quick look, Ian. I appreciate it. :)

The only real way I can think of suggesting if you want to go back to normal Mandriva is to remove what you installed from the MDE repositories, and then remove the MDE repositories from urpmi. Once done, then you can then install your system with KDE 3.4 from the normal Mandriva repositories to get back to a normal system.

Or if it's just a new install, then a clean install, and go from there. However, MDE/THAC might respond shortly, and help get your new system fixed with the printing problems and video problems that you're experiencing.

cups2-1.2.3-1 is what is needed. It's odd. And, I will do that if I need to, it's just a pain to do because mandrake never sets my graphics card up right and it takes me forever to get it to do so after it finishes not setting it up. Each time I try to reinstall the graphics, something new screws up. I'm using one of the newest nvidia cards that is supposed to be completely supported, but it never picks the right driver, and when it does, 3d is never completely enabled. Like now I am having a terrible time getting direct rendering enabled.

Something to consider is that when you uninstall cups it will not necessarily also uninstall libcups. This means that you can have a libcups version that does not play well with the cups version you install. When you install cups, it sees a libcups there so it just goes ahead and installs without protest but can't actually work with it.

This seems to happen a lot with other applications as well. Nowdays whenever I uninstall a program, I go the extra distance and look to make sure the matching lib and other related packages such as devel are uninstalled as well so when a chosen application version is selected to be installed, then urpmi calls up the required lib packages as well that match the application.

I have also found that in Mandriva 2006 that cups cannot set up the printer properly (as it can do easily in Mandriva2005 and has done in almost every version prior to 2006) if it is allowed to select the printer automatically. It only worked when using the Manual selection of printer procedure. I use an Epson PhotoEX so it is a well known printer in the Linux world and not some ultra new or relatively unknown model.

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers. John.

Maybe you have to wait the packages in MDE repo being synchronized?

I did have such problems while I was still in Mandriva. Then, I decided to leave pseudo-bleeding edge (official release+ unofficial repos), and nonperforming real bleeding edge (Cooker) for real+performing bleeding edge (= other distros) and since then I use Mandy less and less...