Mandriva One Live

Guest Giobatta

Regarding installation of Mandriva One:

When I installed Mandriva Linux Free 2007, there was an option to copy all of the files from the CD to the hard drive. I opted not to do this.

Does Mandriva One have the same option and if it does:

Once it (or Free) copies the files to the hard drive, does it install Mandriva right from the files copied to the hard drive, as opposed to reading from the CD each time and if this is the case, is this method of installation faster than the standard method?

I'm asking because MANY months back, I briefly tried out a Mandriva-based Linux distro which came on one CD and when I tried installing this on the slower of my two systems, the installation (more than once) quit at 96% after five (yes, 5) hours, I'm guessing the CD/DVD drive simply overheated and shut itself off.

The above, if that is how it works, would definitely be a big plus when installing on the slower system.

Edited by edwardp

If you're installing on a single system, this would make no sense at all.

It's definitely faster to install by reading your selected packages from a CD, than by reading everything from a CD, writing it all to a hard drive, and then reading back from the hard drive.

When I installed from Mandriva 2007 One, it didn't give me an option to copy to the hard drive, but I would have said no anyway. The installation itself was really quite quick. Downloading the updates took after the install took a while though.

If the install quit at 96% I'd guess a dodgy CD.

If you're installing on a single system, this would make no sense at all.

It's definitely faster to install by reading your selected packages from a CD, than by reading everything from a CD, writing it all to a hard drive, and then reading back from the hard drive.

When I installed from Mandriva 2007 One, it didn't give me an option to copy to the hard drive, but I would have said no anyway. The installation itself was really quite quick. Downloading the updates took after the install took a while though.

If the install quit at 96% I'd guess a dodgy CD.

The same CD worked on the faster system, so I know it wasn't the CD.

The slower system has 196 Mb of memory with a 166 MHz Intel Pentium, it's slow and may have been a contributor to it quitting after 5 hours, it's obviously slow when processing the data, but then, I do not know what the default installation included on that other distro.

With Mandriva (and one of the things I like about it!), I selected what to install, I could not with the other distro. The Mandriva installation (before updates) on the slower system using the Free set of four CD's took only a little over one hour, I selected Network Computer and Documentation in addition to the items already pre-selected. On my faster system, the same installation (also before updates) took only 25 minutes.

Maybe the old system has a problem with the cd drive. Have you tried running a cd cleaning kit through it? These are pretty good, in case the lens/laser is dirty.

Also check the disk for fingermarks, etc, and polish it with the correct cloth in circular motions around the disk.

Maybe the old system has a problem with the cd drive. Have you tried running a cd cleaning kit through it? These are pretty good, in case the lens/laser is dirty.

Also check the disk for fingermarks, etc, and polish it with the correct cloth in circular motions around the disk.

Yes, I've run a cleaning CD through it (actually through all four drives - 2 on each machine, each machine also has a CD burner) and they have been working perfectly. It's a Scotch (3M) Laser Lens Cleaner and works in both CD and DVD drives.

As strange as this may sound, the CD/DVD drive on the slower PC (a generic OEM unbranded drive) actually runs better (as long as an installation doesn't take five hours!) than the Creative 52X CD-ROM drive on the faster system. I can play a CD on the faster system using the Creative drive, yet every now and then when a new page loads in the web browser, the CD abruptly stops without warning, this has happened many times. I don't have this problem with the unbranded OEM drive on the other system, so it doesn't appear to be a Linux issue. I had to disable digital playback on the faster system in order for the Creative drive to play CD's using KsCD though, but this same drive did not have any issues when I used the four-disc set to install Mandriva. :unsure:

In any event, the next time I have to install/reinstall Mandriva, I'm going to try the Mandriva One CD.