Did anybody else know about this?

I just did an upgrade and found out the following

Why modular?

You may be wondering, why in the world did one nice, easy xorg-x11 package turn into almost 300 separate ones? And you'd certainly be justified in this. =) It's not something Gentoo is doing independently of upstream X.Org; they're splitting up all the packages into separate releases, and we're just following along.

I'm going to have some fun with this one!

Indeed, xorg 7.0 has gone modular, instead of the 6.8.X monolith (some 65 MB on my Arch). Distros are following suit the new xorg philosophy. But IMHO this isn't a bad thing, rather the opposite.

But how come 300 packages for Gentoo? On Arch they are way less...

Really makes me wonder how you configure xorg now. Of course that's something you do manually in Gentoo. I haven't really read through all the info so I guess I'll find out when I find some time to concentrate on it.

You don't need all 300 of those packages...that's the who idea of modular. You only need the base and whatever other packages your system requires.

I went to 7.0 modular in gentoo a few months ago when I was still running it, and I surely didn't have to install 300 packages :lol:

7.0 modular was released at the same time as 6.9, a lot of distributions will be using it soon if they aren't already. It should be in Mandriva 2007, if cooker is any indication.

Same on ubuntu. Though there's two xorg meta packages which install the most common things. xserver-xorg-driver-all and xserver-xorg-input-all. But xorg only loads those modules which the system is set up to. Pretty smart. Though you can remove the two meta packages and remove those modules you don't need if you're looking for more space on the HDD.

yeah I love it! I finaly got to remove all thought drivers I'll never need and other pkgs, get 40+ mb back that I don't have to download and update. It's about time!

The update part is the best bit for me... I don't mind one download of useless stuff but doing all the stuff everytime you update is what I won't miss.

I think my cooker runs on Xorg 7.0 already. Will check later. :)

One thing is a bit unclear though. In case I have the modular Xorg set up and everything works and I have only the basic stuff I need and I switch some hardware, say, the graphics card gets a boost and I switch to a bigger monitor, what will happen then? Will harddrake solve the problem itself? Will I have to install the modules from a cli first before being able to fix xorg.conf?

I think my cooker runs on Xorg 7.0 already. Will check later. :)

One thing is a bit unclear though. In case I have the modular Xorg set up and everything works and I have only the basic stuff I need and I switch some hardware, say, the graphics card gets a boost and I switch to a bigger monitor, what will happen then? Will harddrake solve the problem itself? Will I have to install the modules from a cli first before being able to fix xorg.conf?

You have the option of removing the modules you don't want from disk ... this will need to be done manually I guess and hence reversing it will also need to be done manually but other than switching chipset on the graphics card shouldn't cause a problem....

It should be in Mandriva 2007, if cooker is any indication.

Actually the schedule was to have xorg 7.1, which currently is broken for the non-GPL nvidia and ATi packages.

Maybe they will be working packages for them by the time 2007.0 is released, but (IMHO) they should rather use the tested+ proven 7.0, unless they never learned their lesson from the 2006.0 quasi-disaster and the broken xorg 6.9.0 prebeta they have put in! :lol2:

Edited by scarecrow

It should be in Mandriva 2007, if cooker is any indication.

Actually the schedule was to have xorg 7.1, which currently is broken for the non-GPL nvidia and ATi packages.

I'm fully aware of that ;) It's actually the non-GPL nvidia/ATi packages that are broken for 7.1, not the other way around. That is, the fault lies on nvidia/ati because they need to update their drivers.

Well I have the opposite problem. I have to figure out which packages I need. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to configure things like my video card but that may be covered in the wiki. I haven't read all of it yet.