arch linux forums

null

I browsed a few of the arch linux forums that I found by googling... they don't seem to be as friendly as mub. Also, many people's posts were just left hanging, after one reply or so - with the problem not being solved.

What's a good arch linux forum, and in mub - how many arch gurus are here?

After d/l & burning ubuntu (5.10), kanotix-64, genieOS, and arch, it seems that arch is very highly thought of. So I'm probably gonna stick it on my win2k box and try it out dual-boot. I understand that it is a great "learning" distro.

[Moved from Other Linux Distributions by arctic]

Concerning Arch, ask iphitus (Arch developer), tyme or scarecrow if you have questions. ;)

Don't know about their forums. I guess they are mostly friendly, as most other forums,too. But we are - of course - the friendliest of them all. :rolleyes:

:cheesy:

The Arch forums (bbs.archlinux.org) are OK, you just have to be patient, and disregard a couple of snobbish members (fortunately enough they are just few of them). Initially I felt a bit unconfortable there (that is some two years ago), but soon enough I found out that the Arch community is in general friendly, knowledgable and helpful- factly much less snobbish than the Gentoo or Ubuntu "geek elite".

Here myself, Tyme, and Iphitus are all regular Arch users, although only Iphitus should be close to the "geek" descritiption (since he is active in the Arch development, providing the Beyond kernel patchset- which isn't strictly Arch specific).

I've been a member of the Gentoo forum for three years and I've asked lots of questions there and I've never run into the so called "elite snobs" that I hear people complain about.. Everyone has gone out of there way to help me and I've even had a few developers take the time to answer my questions. Just because you run into a few people that aren't nice doesn't make the whole forum bad. We've had our share of problems here over the years but I don't think that affects the forum as a whole. And I do visit the Gentoo forums repeatedly throughout the day so I'm quite familiar with it.

you see the elite snoobishness of gentoo users more outside of their forum than in it. unless there's a thread in it about some other distribution...then you see it ;)

but ya, myself, iphitus and scarecrow are all arch users. iphitus is the most knowledgeable probably, which is kind of funny, because i introduced him to arch linux back when he was a young linux user - and helped him learn some of the basics...now, the student has become the master :twisted: and vice versa, it would seem.

Ok, if I put it on my win2k box, I guess I'll stick with mub - other linux distros - for any questions. I've got a 120-day "student" version of MS Project on my win2k box, so I'll probably wait till I finish that class until screwing with my win2k box. I've only got something like 20 days left of my 120-day trial version - and I've still got most of my Project assignment still to do.... I need to get off my butt and finish it...

I backed up the date on my win2k box 1 month, just in case that might fool the trial version... :ninja:

Anyway, I checked out 3 diff arch forums this afternoon, and I selected a couple of posts to read thru ... One had a decent reply, with help, and the other just had a snobby reply, with no help.

Good to know some experts are here. Isn't James a teenager...? Man, I'm 46 now, but I was smarter back in high school..,.

All those years of beer, margaritas, cigars, 4 hours of sleep every night....

edit:

But we are - of course - the friendliest of them all.

I agree.

Edited by null

ok, I read thru several threads in the official forum... You're right, it's definately the best place for help & info. A couple of newbies got a little impatient, which made the experts irritated... and then it just goes nowhere... But it looks like a great place, can't wait to try arch out as a "play" distro.

I'm an arch user also - and you do find a lot of helpful friendly people on the arch forums, but you also encounter a lot of elitism where people only want a few "experts" to discover their precious little distro.

For me it's great because it's fast, lightweight and has the best (imho) package manager around - in fact it's the package manager that really makes it...

but ya, myself, iphitus and scarecrow are all arch users. iphitus is the most knowledgeable probably, which is kind of funny, because i introduced him to arch linux back when he was a young linux user - and helped him learn some of the basics...now, the student has become the master :twisted: and vice versa, it would seem.

funny how things go isnt it. I've learnt a helluva from you too in particular. im 17 now, 18 in August, good memory :)

The official arch forums, bbs.archlinux.org are pretty well balanced forums really. Not many threads are left unsolved, and if they are, it's often because the person who started it didnt follow it up. There's plenty of great people who really really know their stuff, but aren't snobbish about it - I'm nothing compared to the likes of phrakture, JGC, cactus and many notable others.

The other nice thing about them, is they're more of a community, there's a lot of interaction between developers, trusted users and users, and really, there's little to seperate them in different groups or anything, we're all just community members.

So if you do have a problem, that's prolly the best spot to go, I'll make sure I have somethin to say if I see you there.

James

46- wow, you're a youngster. I'm going 48 in a couple of months! :D

Since you already have some experience with advanced distros like FC5, you will find it easy to install Arch. Just start with a minimal installation (base) and the very basic configuration. the installler is text mode, but fairly easy to understand and use, especially if your harddisk is already prepartitioned. After having a working base it is really the easiest distro on planet earth to handle- everything goes around editing few+ well commented configuration files.

Edited by scarecrow

Geesh, you guys are old. Is there a bridge club on arch forum :P :D

Just kidding ;)

On topic, Arch forum is quiet good in my opinion. I visit there often, but I havn't posted (two or three about some arch artwork I made) there since the days when I also had Arch on my computer.