building gnome (2.14) from source [solved]

Hi,

I'm thinking about building the latest stable gnome (2.14) from source on Mandriva2006. Is that a good idea? Have someone here done that before? Is there any manual on how to do that?

Thanks.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

So you say it is not worth the effort?

Sort of academical question.

Surely enough you will gain some experience, but the Mandy devel packages are in such a mess, that succeeding in building a whole desktop environment is highly unlikely...

And even if you succeed, garnome does not create RPM packages, so if ever you want to upgrade normally your urpmi repos will be a mess.

Building binaries from source and regularly slotting them to your system is fairly easy for some distros (Slackware, Gentoo, Arch...) but certainly enough not for Mandriva.

Edited by scarecrow

Hi all,

I'm ready to share my experiences with GARNOME on Mandriva here. It's not that it cannot be done, but it really takes time. You should reserve two full days on a 2GHz i686 machine building (ccache enabled). This is not due to compilation time, but you'll have to work around some errors here and then, even using the stable version. However, it *is* an interesting adventure (you'll probably not succeed with all packages). If you *really* want to get to know your desktop system, have it a go! Still you should have done some smaller projects yet. Sometimes you'll have to set config values, sometimes do minor changes in the Makefiles. In that case you should also join the GARNOME mailinglist.

On the other hand, if you just want to use an actual gnome build (or move on from 2.10 because of the errors, as my first intention had been), I'd suggest using the cooker. Even being alpha now, it's *a lot* easier to route out user config errors than fiddling with the system itself. I can also recommend Linus' latest kernel, works fine here (even got ati 3D hardware acceleration working now!)

Regards,

Scoonma