amarok and 2 sound cards

coverup

The topic title says it... I have two sound cards, an onboard sound chip and SoundBlaster Live. I set amarok to use SoundBlaster Live by selecting xine engine and telling it use the device called plug:front:1for stereo output. Everything works great, and the sound comes from the speakers plugged into the SBLive.... until I close amaroK. After restarting Amarok, the device reverts back to plug:front:0, which is the onboard sound device. How do I make my selection permanent?

Edited by coverup

I've had similar problems with keyboard settings not being remembered, so I ran the program as root and then made the settings, and after that it remembered them.

Not sure if it will help or not, but worth a try running amarok as root, and then making the changes to see if it remembers them.

Modify /etc/modprobe.conf my e.g with cmipci and SBLive

remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

remove snd-cmipci /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-cmipci

install snd-cmipci /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-cmipci && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

alias snd-card-1 snd-cmipci

alias sound-slot-1 snd-cmipci

Now, SBLive! is first card /dev/dsp0. CMIPCI is /dev/dsp1 ....Lex

Thanks, Lex.

I was thinking about swapping devices but then I decided it would be a too radical fix. If I do as you suggested, the all other apps will use SBLive as device 0 - eg, korn plays chime for me when emails arive, etc. If that's the case, that's not what I am trying to achieve - I'd like to use SBLive exclusively for music playback, and the onboard sound for the rest of things (beeping, KDE notifications, chimes, etc.)

I've had similar problems with keyboard settings not being remembered, so I ran the program as root and then made the settings, and after that it remembered them.

Not sure if it will help or not, but worth a try running amarok as root, and then making the changes to see if it remembers them.

In other words, you suggest editing the config file and changing write permission on the config file from user to root...

Good, I do not have Amarok bu have XINE. You download amarok-xine-engine. If You have SBLive ask second card go in XINE Preferences/ GUI/ Expirience_level set Expert. Now go / Preferences / Audio/ device_alsa_default_device etc..... Must be deleted defoult a write:

hw:1,0 ###for stereo second card

hw:1,1 ###for 4-speakers second card

hw:1,2 ###for 6-speakers second card

But listen

aplay -l

aplay -L

Search yur devices and subdevices.

Remember - SBLive relaces two, thre integrated card`s is very nice!. If I downloading Amarok may be something write. Good luck .....Lex

XINE is very nice Player, MPlayer is better

------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I have Amarok 1.4 Fast Forward.

No problem, if You use Gstreamer Engine look in hidden file /home/user/./kde/share/config/amarokrc

find section [Gst Engine]

Sound Device=/dev/dsp1

But better use Xine-engine

Do Amarok / Settings / Configure Amarok/ Module

Set Output Xine and plugin ALSA!!!!

Now for MONO write hw:1,0

Stereo hw:1,0

For 4 Spekers plug:surround40:1

For 6 Speakers plug:surround51:1

Reload Amarok a Goooo!!!!, Good Luck, fine player .....Lex

Edited by Lexicon