firefox

doody

Dear usergroup

I've been using the default Firefox browser that came with Mandriva dIscovery 2006. But reading on another posting on this site it seems it may not be so secure.

Do I need to download a newer version of this or is the one I've got OK? If I do need to download another version, how would I do this?

Yes, I am a newbie still.

Thanks for your help,

doody :mellow:

Mandrivas Firefox is pretty secure if you ask me. No reason to worry, as they patch it thoroughly. :) I use Firefox since ages and nor have I or others for whom I set up Firefox had any security problems with it, no matter if they use Mac, Windows or Linux. Don't believe the hype. ;)

since it seems that I was part of this discussion and therefore somewhat guilty of causing this confusion:

mandriva uses backports to patch security issues, that arise in later versions of firefox, therefore the mandriva-firefox should be secure, it was just a combination of misleading information on the firefox-site (claiming you should update to 1.5.0.4, because elder versions are insecure, but not exactly stating which versions are affected by which bugs, maybe they just want all users to download the new version :D ) and no information on the mandriva site about their patch-policy/backports and so on

if you have the latest firefox-patches from mandriva you should be fairly secure

after all, the only real visible improvement in firefox 1.5 over 1.0.x is the clear private data menu, which can be included in 1.0.x via addons

a check on the suse security announcements shows that Suse 10 does use the same firefox version as mandriva 2006 (both use 1.0.8 at the moment)

I'm using it too, because some addons I use only work on 1.5-generation firefoxes, and the installation is really easy, just unpack it somewhere