Which is better - Ubuntu Or Mandriva?

Guest Jebereuen

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arctic... the issue is not the 1 month delay ... I was quite happily doing an ftp install anyway.

The question is whether Mandriva are a truthful company.

Unless you think google are making some sort of play for mandriva to enter into the desktop linux market why would google falsify the cache records? Why would ianw1974 make up a link ?

The issue is Mandriva stated categorically the iso's were not on the mirrors yet they were and they were still stating this 5 days later so its not like everything was lost in the 30 minutes....

Like I say we can speculate if its an accident, deliberate or plain lazyness but the google cache is pretty much close to being fact. I and ianw1978 both saw the iso's ...

but the bottom line is I don't like being called a liar. I know what I saw ... I know I tried the enterprise kernel and what timelord100 is posting is saying I did not.

Gowator I think you need to follow your own advice and not call other people liars without being very sure. If you actually look at that cached version you'll see a whole section titled "Mandriva Linux 2006 CD & DVD ISO images for i586 and x86_64" and a link that says "Mirrors for Mandriva Linux 2006 CD & DVD ISO images for i586 and x86_64".

I don't know why it also says "look in a few weeks in the other section of this page" but given that they've completely changed the design of the website its more than likely they just stuffed the site up during the transition. How did you get to that page? Did you go from www.mandrivalinux.com and click 'Downloads' or did you just click it as a link?

It looks like an old page which is still on their webserver. If you go there now it only has download links for 2005LE - http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/otherdownloads/mirrors.

And BTW nowhere did I call you a liar. I just think you're wrong and I'm trying to point out why, so don't get so defensive.

Both of you, please stop the "liar" discussion, otherwise I will be forced to take actions. I don't want to be forced to close this thread due to things getting personal. :)

First I don't think the people will always stay in the same departments e.g. if the new release needs testing then the almost everybody is testing web designer or not because a stable distro is more important than a misleading webpage.

Second I wrote they are in financial trouble again meaning not just Gael was fired and less people has to do the same amount of job.

Third I don't think they webteam is only there to design webpages. they have to take care of the club page corporate club page Kiosk etc.

Wedesigners take care of websites, designers take care of other artistic things like banners etc., developers (R&D) and beta testers (QA department) take care of the distro. That's how the business world functions, dexter. Never ever will you see a graphic designer doing the coding and maintenance of websites. That are two completely different jobs with completely different prequisites (different university degrees). Believe me, I know what I am talking about.

I beleive you know what you are talking about but I also believe they don't have graphic designers judging by the quality how Mandriva looked like until 2006. So I think a developer with a little spare time made a wallpaper and that was the graphic design. I also believe that a web developer knows how to code in perl so they can help develop the Mandriva tools if needed. Or I can say the guy who knows the most about java can package OpenOffice and develop xwiki. Testing was just an example.

I also know from Adam's posts that the club page is developed when they got men assigned to it.

So I think what you wrote is how it should work not how it's working at least not at Mandriva.

Maybe you are right. Maybe not. The only persons that know the answer are those that work at Mandriva. But I know that they have Departments for Marketing, QA, R&D etc., thus what I said is imho a bit more probable than your scenario. But let's end this discussion. It doesn't lead us anywhere. :)

The marketing department of Mandriva is a mythical creature, that all know to name (and ridicule), but nobody has actually seen it. :P :D

Edited by solarian

What link did I post?!? I don't remember posting a link :o

The only thing I remember about one month delay was something I used in an example of another discussion :P

And it was probably a bad example, maybe two or three months, which I stated in the thread :P

EDIT:

ah, the ftp links to the ISO's. Sorry, I mentioned another thread where I talked about delays.

If you actually look at that cached version you'll see a whole section titled "Mandriva Linux 2006 CD & DVD ISO images for i586 and x86_64" and a link that says "Mirrors for Mandriva Linux 2006 CD & DVD ISO images for i586 and x86_64".

Striaght after which it says

Mandriva Linux 2006 is also available as a DVD set and packs: order now at Mandriva Store. This DVD set (or a Mandriva Club membership) provides and auto-installs many additional software components such as.....

Because this is the PAY version ....

Whereas we are talking about the free version which is the one above which says ...."look in a few weeks"

I don't know why it also says "look in a few weeks in the other section of this page" but given that they've completely changed the design of the website its more than likely they just stuffed the site up during the transition. How did you get to that page? Did you go from www.mandrivalinux.com and click 'Downloads' or did you just click it as a link?

I went to the main page and downloads since I was looking to dowload the free version of 2006

If you read my original post it says so.... the point being before telling someone they are wrong at least check what they posted. As in the above example ... the free version said "look in a few weeks" the pay version actually took you to the order and download straight away page (I know because I tried)

The point is this is just a single example of Mandriva's business practice. I can point you to posts on here where Mandriva or their bank took $6500 out of peoples accounts who ordered online instead of $65.... Now given the French use of commas this is probably a genuine mistake ... the point was Mandriva did absolutely nothing to help its paying customers.... many of whom were faced with credit card bills they couldn't pay....indeed it refused to reply to emails on the subject. This is not the action of a company putting their paying customers interests first... rather like the rude answer they gave when I found my CD set was unreadable...

Is the web page an accident or a "unfortunate accident" .... a little like the other discussion .. its probably an accident but its also probably an error they know about but see no point in changing if its forcing a few people to buy the powerpack instead.,

Mandriva have been increasingly like this.... for instance the nvidia and ATI drivers they maintained they were unable to provide for "legal reasons" ... was all just BS.... Im not saying they have to include them in the free version but they should be honest as to why....

My last powerpack I bought said (in French) "play's all your DVD's" again is this an unfortunate error? It is after all in their native language ... when what they mean is "can play your DVD's with optional software" .. A printing error perhaps?

The point is when you look at all these and more it paints a rather poor picture of Mandriva as a company as opposed to the fine technical work. it beggars beleif that all these tings are just accidents when you look at them together.

Mandriva have been increasingly like this.... for instance the nvidia and ATI drivers they maintained they were unable to provide for "legal reasons" ... was all just BS.... Im not saying they have to include them in the free version but they should be honest as to why....

Yes it si BS, but it is also a sneaky marketing trick IMHO!