Which is better - Ubuntu Or Mandriva?

Guest Jebereuen

One month delay.. who cares if you get something one month earlier or not? I at least don't care so much. Other things are more important than this trivial point imho. And for us experienced users, we can always do a ftp-installation. ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand what you're talking about. Goto www.mandrivalinux.com, click on the link that says 'Downloads' and its all there. Its been like that since they released the 2006 ISOs way back in November. Yes they had that ~1 month period where the ISOs weren't there but 2006 was but they were quite open about that - they always delay the free ISO release.

I just posted what the site said on the day .... if you are accusing me of making it up I think you should read the rules.

What I posted in the link is directly from the Mandriva site.... what ianw1978 posted was posted the same day...

On Jun 20 2006 @ 04:44 PM board time the Mandriva website download section for 2006 said....

This is the raw installation tree for Mandriva Linux 2006. If you are looking for ISO images to burn CDs or a DVD, look in a few weeks in the other section of this page.

You can either believe this or call me a liar ... be very certain before you do the latter.

Jun 20 2006, 04:48 PM board time ianw1974 pasted this link....

http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/M...so/2006.0/i586/

which i checked by Jun 20 2006, 04:54 PM board time....

A total of 30 minutes delta board time.

If you still don't believe me here is the google cache dated on 25 Jun 2006 19:19:43 GMT. of course

Google have made it up and everyone here is lying except Mandriva?

http://www.google.com/custom?q=cache:K30u5...640468990974801

One month delay.. who cares if you get something one month earlier or not? I at least don't care so much. Other things are more important than this trivial point imho. And for us experienced users, we can always do a ftp-installation. ;)

Arctic... the issue is not the 1 month delay ... I was quite happily doing an ftp install anyway.

The question is whether Mandriva are a truthful company.

Unless you think google are making some sort of play for mandriva to enter into the desktop linux market why would google falsify the cache records? Why would ianw1974 make up a link ?

The issue is Mandriva stated categorically the iso's were not on the mirrors yet they were and they were still stating this 5 days later so its not like everything was lost in the 30 minutes....

Like I say we can speculate if its an accident, deliberate or plain lazyness but the google cache is pretty much close to being fact. I and ianw1978 both saw the iso's ...

but the bottom line is I don't like being called a liar. I know what I saw ... I know I tried the enterprise kernel and what timelord100 is posting is saying I did not.

I was only referring to the delay of the iso images, solarian. :)

sorry, misunderstood, arctic :)

----

edit: I too don't like Mandriva as a company, that's why I switched. The reasons were purely ethical and political, not technological, because I still like Mandriva as a distribution.

And they've showed unethical or untruthful behaviour for more than one time. And I use Linux not only because it is free, but also for the community spirit.

For me kicking Gael out was the last straw on the frustration that had been building for quite some time.

Edited by solarian

Like I say we can speculate if its an accident, deliberate or plain lazyness but the google cache is pretty much close to being fact.
I'd say it's plain lazyness, nothing else. :P

Gael based his new linux project 'Ulteo' on Ubuntu, do you remember? Why did he chose Ubuntu? Maybe he thinks (and I think that he knows about linux much more that most of us) that Ubuntu is superior and mandriva is obsolete?

As far as I am concerned 'Ulteo' is vapourware at the moment. If it is any good we shall se when it is released (at least beta).

Maybe, but what is important is that he made his choice in favor of Ubuntu.

Like I say we can speculate if its an accident, deliberate or plain lazyness but the google cache is pretty much close to being fact.
I'd say it's plain lazyness, nothing else. :P

I'd say a third version : they didn't get to it. They are in financial trouble again and they have to please the club members with a new club release, develop the club page both of them are long delayed things. Plus they have to develop the new release and I didn't even mention the corporate customers yet. And you call them a liar or lazy. They are hard working people with limited time and resources and both hands full of work and a webpage probably doesn't have the top priority when they have to fix things like the Xorg, Kat, logrotate bug etc. Anyway they finally got to it this is the new download page I think.

AFAIK and from what I read in the forums and newsletters, Ulteo is based on pure Debian and not Ubuntu.

This is what Gael said:

http://www.ulteo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23

Well... here is an information! I'm currently working to port my Ulteo tests to a debian-base. We won't start from scratch for sure! Well, an Ubuntu base in fact! No need for now to describe all the reasons which convinced me to think about this switch (especially cos I *may* switch back to a Mandriva-base wink). The issue is that I'm not an expert with Ubuntu/Debian technologies, but I'm learning. I want to start upon Kubuntu because it's the closest distro to my previous hacks in Mandriva regarding apps and look & feel. And after the first release, extend the project to a GNOME-base as well.
Edited by ilia_kr

Uh... oh... Kubuntu...ugly! :D

I'd say a third version : they didn't get to it. They are in financial trouble again and they have to please the club members with a new club release, develop the club page both of them are long delayed things. Plus they have to develop the new release and I didn't even mention the corporate customers yet. And you call them a liar or lazy. They are hard working people with limited time and resources and both hands full of work and a webpage probably doesn't have the top priority when they have to fix things like the Xorg, Kat, logrotate bug etc. Anyway they finally got to it this is the new download page I think.
Dexter11, with all respect, they have different departments at Mandriva. Those who maintain the webpages have nothing to do with the developers. A musician won't be able to help a doctor a lot in hospital and it is no different with Mandriav. Webdesigners are trained for webdesign and are professionals at it, while developers concentrate on developing only. So it is in fact rather lazyness than anything else.