Which is better - Ubuntu Or Mandriva?

Guest Jebereuen

one thing that mandriva misses is a way to check if there are packages that are not needed (e. g. libraries without any dependencies, and if there is a way, as always they don't tell you :D )
Well, that is a problem that many distros share. There are only complicated workarounds for this and they are a bit risky. For Fedora, it looks e.g. like this: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91966

Any deb based distro has deborphan available, and Arch has it's own orphan support in pacman.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, this is only a RPM based distro problem? :unsure:

Not necessarily. It's a problem in any distro which doesn't have a program to do that ;) Or if the package manager wasn't built in a way that makes it easy. It may be only RPM distro's, but I imagine there are other package systems with the same problem.

at least there is a --last option with the rpm command which shows the latest installed packages

@SoulSE: synaptic and apt are available in the repositories for mandriva.

Yes I know - I've used apt4rpm - it's touch and go at the best of times and I like to stick with what the distro's designers want me to use. It's fine to experiment, but not with package managers imho...

Dapper is a desaster, imho. The installer stalled two times; have a strange display color problem and no one at ubuntuforums knows the cure.

Default install takes 500 mb more than a default for mandriva2006 (only with gnome).

So far I don't like Dapper at all. Maybe when i'll fix my display 'disease' I'll give it another try, meanwhile I'm on mandriva - feel at home.

Then use SMART. It's almost like Synaptic and I think Mandriva devs were going to switch to it, but I'm not sure that's the plan anymore, or even if it was serious in the first place.

p.s. I still prefer urpmi and yum instead of Synaptic and Smart.

Dapper is a desaster, imho. The installer stalled two times; have a strange display color problem and no one at ubuntuforums knows the cure.

Default install takes 500 mb more than a default for mandriva2006 (only with gnome).

So far I don't like Dapper at all. Maybe when i'll fix my display 'disease' I'll give it another try, meanwhile I'm on mandriva - feel at home.

Get the alternative CD. It uses text installer instead. The graphical installer is still pretty new.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

@SoulSE: synaptic and apt are available in the repositories for mandriva.

Yes I know - I've used apt4rpm - it's touch and go at the best of times and I like to stick with what the distro's designers want me to use. It's fine to experiment, but not with package managers imho...

I agree, when you look at what the package managers cope with and the messes you can get into.

I mean you can basically make a network install just from having the kernel and package managers in Mandriva or Debian (and I would guess others too) and with a bit of knowledge get out of most messes so long as you don't screw around with the package manager... and it knows what is installed and what version.

The more you play about the more having a package database to fall back on and urmpe or apt-get remove --purge can dig you out of whatever mess you make.

uses superior automounting solution

What does Ubuntu use that's superior to hotplug/udev/hald/gvm? (http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main...eRemovableMedia)

My 2 cents is that Ubuntu does seem a bit more polished than Mandriva, certainly simpler than Mandriva to use (eg. not having to know about easyurpmi to have the repos setup). The 6 month release cycles are also good - Mandriva does start to look a little dated near the end of a year release cycle, although it is very stable :)

Still I prefer Mandriva because it seems to have 'more', it seems aimed more at power users by default than newbies, but that's just my impression. Also the whole ubuntu/kubuntu split along desktop lines really bugs me. I like distros to give a choice of which desktop, or both, to install and most importantly to have the best applications for each task installed by default. Eg. don't not install k3b by default in Ubuntu just because it isn't a GTK or GNOME app. App decisions based on religious 'this desktop is better' ideology is a Bad Thing IMHO :)

Also I don't think Ubuntu has any great advantage in hardware detection. I've had 5.10 not work on a desktop PC that Mandriva 2006 worked on by default. Then again maybe with the 6.06 release they are ahead again because of the newer kernel and drivers, until Mdv releases 2007.

Still I prefer Mandriva because it seems to have 'more', it seems aimed more at power users by default than newbies, but that's just my impression. Also the whole ubuntu/kubuntu split along desktop lines really bugs me. I like distros to give a choice of which desktop, or both, to install and most importantly to have the best applications for each task installed by default. Eg. don't not install k3b by default in Ubuntu just because it isn't a GTK or GNOME app. App decisions based on religious 'this desktop is better' ideology is a Bad Thing ™ IMHO smile.gif

I'm one of those who keep a only gtk deskop. Not because I think it's betteer, but for trying to keep things clean, simple and with so few packages as possible. Also QT doesn't fit into my Desktop :P

Everything I set up match. Like eg. take Audacity, it's compilied with gtk1 in the ubuntu package, I was unhappy about it, so I grab the latest version and compilied it with gtk2. Bingo, now it fits my desktop B)

Also the whole ubuntu/kubuntu split along desktop lines really bugs me.

What do you mean by this?

What does Ubuntu use that's superior to hotplug/udev/hald/gvm?

Newer udev versions replace hotplug entirely. It's old. Mandriva are not using a pure dbus/hal based userspace automounting solution. If they were, then using other kernels, such as self compiled kernels would not break the setup. According to many posts from members around here, supermount still exists in mandriva and plays some part, as for what part? I'm not all too sure. From the posts on this forum it's evident that Mandriva's current setup isnt too reliable either, you still see posts asking how to mount pendrives and such.

James

I'm one of those who keep a only gtk deskop. Not because I think it's betteer, but for trying to keep things clean, simple and with so few packages as possible. Also QT doesn't fit into my Desktop :P

Everything I set up match. Like eg. take Audacity, it's compilied with gtk1 in the ubuntu package, I was unhappy about it, so I grab the latest version and compilied it with gtk2. Bingo, now it fits my desktop B)

QT could fit your desktop if you bothered ;) I use QT and GTK2 apps in visual and usability harmony, and I'm all the better off for it. I think it's silly to restrict your choice in applications to one or the other -- you're cutting yourself off some great software either way. As an example, current stable versions of Gaim are miles off what Kopete can do. I dont think any of the GTK burners really match K3B in terms of stability, interface and features. Krita is great if you dislike GIMP's interface, and offers a majority of it's functionality, as well as some that GIMP fails on, such as CMYK for which GIMP has weak support. Kivio is a great diagram program which no GTK program comes near matching and the rest of the Koffice suite, I find are excellent, lightweight (compared to OOo) tools that do a great job at their respective tasks. All of them have improved ridiculously in the last year or two, so they're well worth a look. Much more complete than 'GNOME Office' which is a bit of a mish mash still.

OTOH, I can't live without Firefox - GTK2, and Inkscape, who are also both unrivalled.

As for Audacity, according to Arch's maintainer for it, there's known problems when using GTK2, which is why Arch, Ubuntu and most likely other distros still use the WX GTK1 interface.

James.

Edited by iphitus