Which is better - Ubuntu Or Mandriva?

Guest Jebereuen

Guest Jebereuen

Hey guys, I just started school for a tech job, and their are quite a few people that are wondering which linux os is better. I personally don't know as I have and more then likely always will just us Mandriva.

Which is better Ubunto or Mandriva???

Thanks,

James

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to MUB,

I found it easier to set up many things, like NTFS-FUSE and Captive(-fuse), full multimedia support and other things in Mandriva 2006, whereas Ubuntu has KDE 3.5(.2) (and Gnome 2.14) and is easy to install the latest Xgl and Compiz (mandriva 2006.0 s xgl and compiz are ancient).

In truth I find neither perfect and both complementary, which is rather frustrating as I believe it would be perfectly possible to have the best of both worlds.

I also find the Mandriva communty better for getting help (here and on IRC), whereas in the Ubuntu community your pleas for help tend to get ignored because of the massive post floods in the Ubuntu forums.

Edited by ffi

Which is better Ubunto or Mandriva???
The answer is: None. It is all a matter of personal preferences and the job you need it for.

Some people prefer white bread, some prefer dark bread, some prefer toast, while others hate it. The only way for you to find out which bread you prefer is to test it yourself. ;)

Some people prefer white bread, some prefer dark bread, some prefer toast, while others hate it. The only way for you to find out which bread you prefer is to test it yourself. ;)

Obviously brown bread is better than white bread as the former contains more fibers :P

I always heard Ubuntu was classed as an easy distro for Windows users to get to grips with. I've also heard the Ubuntu forum isn't that user-friendly, especially if you bump posts because nobody replied to help you.

Mandriva is in middle ground, where it's easy, but also still good for advanced users too. So, once you've learnt a lot with Linux, you'd still be happy using Mandriva, because it hasn't gotten too easy for you that you have to find a harder distro to use and learn with.

I always heard Ubuntu was classed as an easy distro for Windows users to get to grips with.

Coming from Windows Ubuntu definitively is not easy as there are some bugs in fuse (which I guess most people switching really need to get write access to their ntfs partitions) for which you need to find an obscure forum post before you can use it

Write access to NTFS is somewhat experimental and limited at present. At least from what I remember reading it only worked for existing files.

When they claim "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" then it's scary, isn't it?

Captive-NTFS works all the time, but its (still) dog slow and having a nice memory leak which prevents deleting several large files from an NTFS volume at once.

The only reliable solution for NTFS read/write ATM is mounting the physical volume directly to a VMWare machine ( VMware player and server are free ATM ). In that case it works as well as it goes under native windows.

I agree that picking Mandy or Ubu is a matter of taste. Personally I would pick none, because both have very annoying shortcomings.

Guest Madmercster

Personally I find Ubuntu to be easier, having said that this is my first day with Mandriva lol so i can´t really give a proper opinion yet but I have only recently (last month or so) moved from Win XP to Ubuntu and I found the transition quite smooth apart from the lack of games :P I noticed that some people in this thread have commented on Ubuntu forums not being very helpful, well I have to say that I found them to be very helpful althought I never actually had to make a post as I have found the answers to my questions in other posts and as for the IRC channel I agree that it is a little hard to get noticed at busy times but a little percistance usually pays off. I do like Mandriva it is nice looking and comes with some kewl stuff already installed the only real problem I have is that I can see my networked Windows box with SMB4K and nautilus but i can´t seem to access the shares on it but Iḿ sure with the help of this forum I will have it fixed in no time. Anyway thats my two cents worth :P