Sauerbraten - aka Cube 2 [solved]

null

I tried to install sauerbraten a couple days ago. I d/l the tar.gz file to a GAMES folder on my desktop. Then I did the tar -xzvf thing., which resulted in a folder called sauerbraten.

I tried running the sauerbraten_unix shell script, but it doesn't do anything. There's also a folder in the sauerbraten folder called bin_unix, so I tried running the linux_client that was in there, but also nothing.

I never did these tar.gz installs very often. So, how do you run the sauerbraten game after expanding the tar.gz? Do you have to chmod +x anything? (I tried that already).

ok, thanks. I did do the chmod +x sauerbraten_unix before I posted, but I did not try the ./sauerbraten_unix. I just tried double-clicking the sauerbraten_unix icon...

edit: ok, doing the ./sauerbraten_unix from the command line in the directory works.... thanks !!! Now, how do I make the sauerrbraten_unix shell script icon on my desktop run the game...?

Edited by null

thanks, I did what A.I. suggested. Works fine.

Now, since my kid wants sauerbraten on his computer (dual-boot win2k and ubuntu) I am gonna copy my sauerbraten folder to a CD and then put it on his machine, and do the same thing.

• 1 year later...

Hello.

I have a problem with running Sauerbraten. After unzipping it to /usr/local/sauerbraten and running sauerbraten_unix the program says:

Your platform does not have a pre-compiled Sauerbraten client.
Please follow the following steps to build a native client:
1) Ensure you have the SDL, SDL-image, SDL-mixer, and OpenGL libraries installed.
2) Change directory to src/ and type "make install".
3) If the build succeeds, return to this directory and run this script again.

I do not know if I have these libraries in my out-of-the-box Mandriva 2008 but probably I don't because when I try 2) I get the following message:

[root@localhost src]# make install
make	-C enet/ all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet'
Making all in include
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet/include'
Making all in enet
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet/include/enet'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet/include/enet'
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet/include'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet/include'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet/include'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/sauerbraten/src/enet'
g++ -Wall -fsigned-char -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Ishared -Iengine -Ifpsgame -Irpggame -Ienet/include -I/usr/X11R6/include `sdl-config --cflags`   -c -o shared/tools.o shared/tools.cpp
In file included from shared/pch.h:37,
			 from shared/tools.cpp:3:
/usr/include/SDL/SDL_opengl.h:44:60: error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/SDL/SDL_opengl.h:45:58: error: GL/glu.h: No such file or directory
In file included from shared/tools.cpp:3:
shared/pch.h:39:22: error: GL/glext.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [shared/tools.o] Error 1

I tried to type "chmod +x /usr/local/sauerbraten/sauerbraten_unix" in konsole and it says nothing so I think that the command was successfully done. But when I try to start /usr/local/sauerbraten/sauerbraten_unix I get the message that I don't have the client.

Could anyone please suggest what I should do because I really can't find the answer :wall:

You appear to be trying to compile it from source. What file did you download?

All you should have to do is download the correct file, and extract it, recreating folders, then make a shortcut to it on your Desktop.

The file you need is the following,

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sauerbrat...mp;big_mirror=0

I install all my games to /user/local/games/ (you can install yours where ever you like, you don't have to follow me), so I would extract the file sauerbraten_2007_08_19_summer_edition_linux.tar.bz2, with folder names to /user/local/games/, thus creating /usr/local/games/sauerbraten

Then create a shortcut on your desktop, Right Click on Desktop - Create New - Link To Application , Then under the General tab, give it a name, then go to the Application tab, and in the Command box, put sh sauerbraten_unix , then in the Work Path box, navigate to /usr/local/games/sauerbraten (or where ever you installed to), click OK. You will now have a shortcut on your Desktop. You can also give it an icon by selecting the big box on the General tab, and browsing to a suitable image file.

Now just double click the shortcut, and away you should go, I never had to do any of the chmod +x stuff above, but you may, that's just how I did it.

(and remember children, don't drink alcohol, and say no to drugs!!)

Edited by esulcer

Thanks a lot :)

I don't know what I did wrong before but now I followed your advice and it worked! It's funny how simple the problem was. I am new to Linux but I already like it very much. I wish more new games had their versions for this OS.

Glad you got it going, :)

I am new to Linux but I already like it very much

Yes, Linux is very good, I especially like Mandriva

I wish more new games had their versions for this OS

Again, Yes, I agree, but unfortunately, I don't think things are going to change dramatically in that respect any time soon, at least not as far as commercial games are concerned, there will be some here and there, but the vast majority won't be available for Linux, at least not Natively. You may be able to get more working under things like Wine, or Cedega, but they are not without their problems either. This is sadly why I am going back to Windows, at least there I can get everything I want, and without having to wait, for sometimes long periods after a games initial release to get a Linux client, if indeed you get one at all. This is of course not the fault of Linux, but, it is Linux's problem, and a problem that isn't going to be remedied anytime soon.

Oh for the day when Software and Hardware manufacturers treat Linux users on an equal with Windows users. Not going to happen I know, but you can dream . . .

Oh well, I'm typing this from my last surviving Linux machine, just holding on a little longer :) , the other 2 are already back on XP Pro, but time now to change this one back as well :sad:, It's been a good couple of years using Linux, but I have been worn down by the compromises that have to be made when you are a gamer :wall: .

Have fun with sauerbraten.

• 10 months later...
make -C enet/ all

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet'

Making all in include

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet/include'

Making all in enet

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet/include/enet'

make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet/include/enet'

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet/include'

make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet/include'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet/include'

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet'

make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet'

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/abinash/sauerbraten/src/enet'

g++ -Wall -fsigned-char -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Ishared -Iengine -Ifpsgame -Irpggame -Ienet/include -I/usr/X11R6/include `sdl-config --cflags` -c -o shared/tools.o shared/tools.cpp

/bin/sh: sdl-config: command not found

/bin/sh: g++: command not found

make: *** [shared/tools.o] Error 127

this what I am getting what should I do?????