ubuntu install for 8 yr old kid

I just installed ubuntu (5.10) on my kid's win2k box. Install went fine, with no errors anywhere.

I liked the installer just fine. Only thing I didn't like was that I wasn't prompted for any package selection or deselection. Seems it just installed something like 5000 things I did not want. I figured that I would just remove them after install.

I'm not really used to the synaptic front end. I always used apt from the CL. I try to remove things like evolution, open office, and other things an 8 yr old would not be interested in... but it doesn't like to let me do those things. Would be nice if I could do what I wanted to.

So anyway, when I go to "advanced" mode like it suggests, and mark those things for removal, it gives a message that it will have to remove the following other item: ubuntu desktop

not sure what that means... remove the desktop...???

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ubuntu-desktop is just a package that will install a bunch of other packages, (aka a meta package, as nchancock states). removing it won't remove any actual data from your drive, save the entry that says "ubuntu desktop is installed" (ok, so it probably says something different) in the package managers database. it's just there so you can install a bunch of stuff at once without selecting each package individually.

ok, that makes sense. tomorrow I'll try removing those things again - and tell it ok to the "ubuntu desktop" warning.

I prefer the installs that have "pre-packaged" installations - such as "workstation" blah blah, although I usually select "manual" package selection... Ubuntu just forged ahead and never asked anything...

Still, at least it installed without error. First I tried pclinuxOS but that bombed out very quickly...returned me to a limited shell. Then I tried a genieOS install, which went pretty good - until the package selection... got some error no matter what I selected - "manual" package selection, or else "workstation".. ended up not installing anything. I was pretty impressed with the genieOS until that point.

no, I never heard of edubuntu, but I'll check into it. I did look at the pclinuxos version for kids. However, it looked a little "too young" for my kid.

My kid likes blowing away monsters & stuff. Although, his favorite type of games are the complicated "war" games, ie battlefield 1942. Those type of games do seem to involve "some" learning... For example, my kid now know what "Axis", "Allies", and words like that mean.

He has a PS2 also, but he is not allowed to own any "M" games - such as Grand Theft Auto...

only problem with putting linux on my kid's machine, is that he doesn't have internet. My wife & I have 3 machines in the next room with DSL internet, and my kid has been bugging me and bugging me..."when can I get the internet...?"

It's kind of a drag to unconnect his machine, and drag it into the next room to hook it up to one of our ethernet cables, but I told him we'd do it every couple months or so - to upgrade, or look for more games via apt.

I still think he's too young to have internet access in his room...

maybe if you set up a firewall and only open up connection to certain sites you have checked for kids only materials.

Like maybe just the educational sites.

It will mean you have to add lots of sites (IP addresses) into the rules file but what it gives you is peace of mind about what he is accessing from the bedroom.. (Later you could add access via a firewall with content scanning...)

But also it gives him a bit more freedom. Therefore he may not bug you so much.

Sites like discovery channel , the museums near you, the Kids tv internet sites like Nickelodeon.

If he is into cars or computers then you could add sites like the car companies, and some of the computer companies.

I would not just stop the interest he has but help it grow with you protecting him at the start.

Further to that while you are in the room you can change the firewall to allow full access so you can watch what he is up to. (and then add those web sites as well).

You can also allow for the computer to access the Ftp sites for the updates therefore he will have the ability to upgrade or install more programs as he gets older..

Edited by michaelcole

Hah.. nice... if I could access it as a normal user. What's that now AI? Are you locking users out? Why?

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in new and ongoing discussions. By joining the Ubuntu Forum Community you will have access to use the post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and much more. Registration is fast and simple.
Limited access???? NO access at all!!!!
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page.

Are you trying to hide anything over there? :P