how to disable automount during boot ???

Guest ruhrpottrider83

Guest ruhrpottrider83

hi,

i have several removable harddisks in my sytem, using mobile racks.

they have a fat 32 file system , because i use them also with windows.

every time i boot, these disks get mounted, although i don't want them to be mounted generally.

how can i disable this automount, so that they generally are unmounted, and that i have to mount them manually, when i want to access them ???

moreover, the directories cdrom, cdrom2 and floppy in /mnt are locked directories, so that i can't access them , even not as root

trying to change their attributes using the command chmod as root failed, the output was something like input output error

how can i change this, moreover i want them to mount myself manually, too

can anyone help me ??

to disable supermount, pass the parameters 'nomount' to lilo before booting. this is just from memory so somebody might correct it later (or post an equivalent for grub).

- during the lilo screen, press escape. you should get a prompt like this

lilo:

- assuming you use the option labeled 'linux' to boot your linux system, enter on the prompt linux nomount (or was it linux append=nomount?).

your system should then boot without supermount. you can automate this by editing your /etc/lilo.conf, copying the 'linux' stanza and renaming the pasted copy to something else (like 'linux-nomounnt') and then adding the 'nomount' option in the append line of the new stanza. save the changes and run

# lilo -v

to have the changes be reflected (assuming there is no error in your new stanza) in the lilo menu options.

as for your mounting directories, you have to do it through the /etc/fstab. search for fstab and mount here in the board for threads which discusses the topics further.

ciao!

Ramfree's above suggestion will work. You can also add "noauto" w/o quotes to the comma separated options in the /etc/fstab entry for the drive you don't want mounted at boot. That way you will be able to make a mounting desktop icon for it by right clicking on the desktop and choosing Create New>Hard Drive.

If anyone reads this and uses grub, it's basically the same concept, but the steps are a little diff. What I've done: When grub appears press e for edit>then select the image you want to boot and press e again. If you already have an "append=" just add nomount to the end, if not add append=nomount.