why does a lot of software not work?

kwlam

I am using mandriva 2005 LE. However, many softwares do not function properly. For example, I cannot use kaffeine or totem to play vcd or mp3 or cd. I can use mplayer to play rmv but not vcd or mp3. I cannot use xine to play mp3 or cd. I hope I did not make any mistake. Kaffeine, xine and totem use the xine engine and they should play mp3, cd, vcd. Mplayer should play mp3, cd, vcd and rmv. Am I correct?

Another problem is that I cannot add plugin to the browsers. I used opera 9.0 and the built-in firefox. In fact, I want upgrade to the newest version of firefox but it failed. It seems that it is difficult to upgrade the softwares. I want to use the plugins, such as mplayer, xine, acrobat, realplayer but all failed. I cannot installed the acrobat 7.0 and real gold 1.0. There are a lot of problem with all these softwares.

Also, why is the plugins so difficult?

I am using mandriva LE 2005. Which version of realplayer ( I have tried realplayer 9 and 10), acrobat reader, firefox should I used and how to install? Also, helix player. There are so many software but none of them seem to be workable.

How to install the plugin or which version of plugin should I install? For example, what should I do if I want to watch the streaming of WMA, realplayer, quicktime, etc? All of them are very basic for web and there is no problems for windows.

I have used mandrake since 8.0 and in fact I want to continue to use mandriva if I can succeed in installing the softwares.

Did you install codecs? Like real and win32codecs (from plf). You can install a dozen player if you don't have the right codecs you won't see anything.

For plugins you have to install mplayer-plugin for mplayer. Maybe there are others for other players.

Mandriva is using a point release cycle meaning they backport security and bug fixes from the newer versions until the release is supported but they're not upgrading a software so if you have Firefox 1.0.4 you won't have a newer one it's just patched so it remains secure and stable.

Your post is a bit too broad. You'll find that if you post specific issues, they get resolved fairly well. Otherwise, it looks more like a user issue than anything else! I suggest posting some more specific questions, rather than "nothing works!" or such.

Opera 8.X and newer can use the Mozilla/FF plugins straightaway.

Only 9.x not 8.x but it still won run if you compile with the latest versions(>1.7) of gecko-sdk, before (<9.x) it wouldn even run without commenting some source code.