Mandriva theme contest

dexter11

Pointless really, it should be a contest to improve what tyme said, GTK2, Metacity and KDE themes.

I think it's a pity it's asking for bootsplash themes too, bootsplash is dated and mandriva really should replace it with usplash, fbsplash or some other superior equivalent.

James

Pointless really, it should be a contest to improve what tyme said, GTK2, Metacity and KDE themes.

I think it's a pity it's asking for bootsplash themes too, bootsplash is dated and mandriva really should replace it with usplash, fbsplash or some other superior equivalent.

James

You said it! Heh, ask for help with what no one is doing or cares about? Can I help you build the hot rod? Sure, tighten this screw! :unsure:

Hi all,

first post here, I come here from the Club forum where dexter11 pointed me to this thread.

I'm the guy who launched this contest.

As for the KDE or GNOME theme, I'm all for it, of course.

I even wanted to do one in the first place, but I've learned to be cautious too.

KDE themes for example are not easy to do, they require a good design and some programming, which means time.

So I've prefered to launch a fast and simple "wallpaper like" contest, to attracts people attention and see what kind of people we really have that can do such stuffs.

If a contest which involves only doing a few wallpaper and images don't attract peoples, there's no way a KDE theme contest can work, don't you think?

I've started to post news about the contest on kde-look, if you know other site, artwork related, gnome or gtk related because the theme can be done for gdm, feel free to post link there or to send me the link.

Welcome aboard. :)

KDE and Gnome themes would be a nice thing for e.g. Mdv 2008 I guess. It would give the community enough time to create a new Metatheme or create e.g. a QT theme which can be ported to Gkt later (or vice versa).

We had a similar contest at Yoper and the community was quite happy about such a contest and submitted many nice designs. It is those little things that tie a community to a distro and that creates a "positive" community feeling for many. Even if you think that the "attraction" for a Wallpaper contest is rather small, don't let this fool you. Themes are made by different users / artists with a different attitude. It's like a football match they want to win at all costs. ;)

Good luck with the competition. :)

Welcome aboard. :)

thanks

KDE and Gnome themes would be a nice thing for e.g. Mdv 2008 I guess. It would give the community enough time to create a new Metatheme or create e.g. a QT theme which can be ported to Gkt later (or vice versa).

We had a similar contest at Yoper and the community was quite happy about such a contest and submitted many nice designs. It is those little things that tie a community to a distro and that creates a "positive" community feeling for many. Even if you think that the "attraction" for a Wallpaper contest is rather small, don't let this fool you. Themes are made by different users / artists with a different attitude. It's like a football match they want to win at all costs.

As someone said above, this contest is a small step in that direction.

If people here want to have a bigger theme contest or project in the future, I'm all ear. It's not obliged to be a contest either, it could also be a community oriented project with support from mandriva.

Just go back to the mandriva club forum post, I just replied to some guy and explained how this contest was born. It was quite easy and community oriented. No big deal, just the common feeling that we need things to be done in that area.

So, a bigger project or contest? Yes!

Just tell me about it, and don't forget to participate to this one, it will be an occasion to get to know each other, and to put together or to identifiate the communication tools (like this forum) we will need in the future project.

I had to add a little precision to the contest rule as it wasnt very clear (one contestant bailed out out of fear, he is back now):

- to submit your work, just put it in the forum thread, you don't need a club account to post there, just a regular forum account (ask fluffy, he knows).

- you don't have to know how to do config files for the contest, just provide the picture or photos, if you don't know how to do the config files, we'll do them for you.