How to update Mandriva 2006? [solved]

I just recently installed Mandriva 2006 onto an older Compaq "Deskpro" (10 Gig & 128 mb ram), and finally got it on the internet. During the install, it asked me if I wanted to look for updates, but I hadn't figured out how to get it online at the time.

Now that I'm online, I would love someone to give me a "step-by-step" instruction as how to go about updating fixes, patches, that sort of thing.

I have read numerous postings which speak of "urpmi, easyurpmi, and mirrors", but I really can't figure out how to go about doing this, and definitely am not up to speed on Linux phrases. But I would like to check for any updates for the OS.

If I were a Mandriva Club subscriber, I'm sure this would be as hard to do, but I am not.

Any help in this matter will help me out a great deal.

Brian

PS. Even if I were able to use the "easyurpmi", I don't even know as to what architecture I need, or what this means (RE: i586, etc.)

Which processor do you have and which version of 2006 did you install? If you installed the normal i586 which will work even on 64 bit processors choose i586.

(edit looking at your specs, I would say i586 (means intel pentium or pentium compatible))

Assuming you have i586 and use 2006.0 follow these instructions from easyurpmi, then go to the control center and it should be easy to figure the rest out.

3) Type this in a console as root (type su in a console (konsole))

urpmi.addmedia main rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz  
urpmi.addmedia contrib rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz  
urpmi.addmedia plf-free rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz  
urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/non-free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz  
urpmi.addmedia --update updates rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz  

If you get an error, please check that the mirror is accessible and not over it's connection limit. Also, you might want to type urpmi.removemedia -a first, in order to reinitialize urpmi's setup.

http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/ind...;synth=on#third

Edited by ffi

As ffi says, the easyurpmi link at the top of this page will give you all the sources you need.

If you just wanted updates, System/Configuration/Packaging/MandrivaUpdates and it will prompt for you to choose a mirror. If not, use the easyurpmi link at the top of this page to sort it out and choose mirrors closest to you.

On My Compaq Deskpro, it has a Pentium® III processor, 800 mhz.

I don't really know as to which Mandriva 2006 I installed. It's a free version that came with 3 cd's. How can I tell?

As far as going to the control center....Is this the consol?

(sorry...As I have said previously, I'm very Linux illiterate!)

I'm also running the KDE desktop.

I hope this helps in diagnosing the steps to follow.

Brian

PS. I live in Lake George, Colorado, USA (as for location).

Edited by brian w.

To go to the control center (mcc), simply type mcc from a konsole or kmenu->system->configure your computer (now I understand why the commandline is popular, that took a lot of writing).

You can use the sources, I gave you earlier, it is a good mirror; fast and up to date, unlike some other mirrors.

From mcc you can choose software and from there update (I am not running mandriva right now but I believe it is where it is).

I also believe there is a command from the console to auto update but I don't know it.....

I did try doing the: system/configuration/packaging/mandriva updates.

After following the prompts, a window came up that said: "The list of updates is empty. this means that either there is no available update for the packages installed on your computer, or you allready installed all of them".

Maybe I am OK with the updates? :o

Bro Brian

To go to the control center (mcc), simply type mcc from a konsole or kmenu->system->configure your computer (now I understand why the commandline is popular, that took a lot of writing).

You can use the sources, I gave you earlier, it is a good mirror; fast and up to date, unlike some other mirrors.

From mcc you can choose software and from there update (I am not running mandriva right now but I believe it is where it is).

I also believe there is a command from the console to auto update but I don't know it.....

Dear ffi,

I think I understand this. I will try this out tomorrow for sure. Brian

Which processor do you have and which version of 2006 did you install? If you installed the normal i586 which will work even on 64 bit processors choose i586.

(edit looking at your specs, I would say i586 (means intel pentium or pentium compatible))

Assuming you have i586 and use 2006.0 follow these instructions from easyurpmi, then go to the control center and it should be easy to figure the rest out.

3) Type this in a console as root (type su in a console (konsole))

urpmi.addmedia main rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz  
urpmi.addmedia contrib rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz  
urpmi.addmedia plf-free rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz  
urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/non-free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz  
urpmi.addmedia --update updates rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz  

If you get an error, please check that the mirror is accessible and not over it's connection limit. Also, you might want to type urpmi.removemedia -a first, in order to reinitialize urpmi's setup.

http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/ind...;synth=on#third

Dear ffi,

Please teel me if I have this correct. What you're saying here is the following:

Follow the instructions from easyurpmi.

Next, go to Konsole, and type urpmi.removemedia -a (and hit enter key)

Next, type su (and hit enter key)

Next, type urpmi.addmedia main rsync://distrib- (and hit enter key)

Next, type coffe.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz (and hit enter key)

Next, type urpmi.addmedia contrib rsync://distrib- (and hit enter key)

So on and so forth..... Is this correct, or am I missing something? Sorry, I guess I'm not as bright as most.

Bro Bri

Edited by brian w.

This is all one line:

urpmi.addmedia main rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz <<hit enter>>

This is all one line:

urpmi.addmedia contrib rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz <<hit enter>>

This is all one line:

urpmi.addmedia plf-free rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz <<hit enter>>

This is all one line:

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/non-free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz <<hit enter>>

This is all one line:

urpmi.addmedia --update updates rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz <<hit enter>>

You can copy and paste these into the console, by right-click drag to select the text and then click in the console to select the area where you want to paste and middle-click there.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

You won't be able to remove any media without doing su first. All urpmi commands, or if it not but most will require su first to get root privileges. Extra security to save normal users removing stuff.

OK - Now I'm getting closer to understanding this. Please make note that I'm not the only one cyphering this stuff out. I have a few co-workers who are looking this stuff over as well, and at least 2 of us co-workers are looking very closely at this.

From what I'm getting so far is that

1. You must start with urpmi.removemedia -a from the beginning.

2. Then (with each command) you will start by typing su, and hitting enter before making the actual command.

Hence, It will look like this?

urpmi.removemedia -a (enter)

su (enter)

urpmi.addmedia main rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz (enter)

su (enter)

urpmi.addmedia contrib rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz (enter)

su (enter)

urpmi.addmedia plf-free rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz (enter)

su (enter)

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/non-free/2006.0/i586 with synthesis.hdlist.cz (enter)

su (enter)

urpmi.addmedia --update updates rsync://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/MandrivaLinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz (enter)

Does this look like the way it should be done?

By this time, I'm sure there are a few Linux techs rolling their eyes at this stupidity of mine.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Brian