Skype or OS equivalent for 10.0?

rogerh

Hello,

Interested in getting Skype or an open source equivalent on my Mandrake 10.0 official. Are any of these products 'ready for prime time'?? I am interested in just downloading a rpm and using it - not interested in (or capable of) spending hunderds of hours getting beta software to work on my system. Wife's sister just moved to Germany, and the pending phone bills motivate me to seek an alternative.....

Thanks for any info or advice. Location of download (if there is any software out there that fill the bill) appreciated as well.

Thanks -- Roger

I'm pretty sure skype is available for mandriva 2006, not sure about 10. Maybe try:

urpmi skype

or install from the mcc, search for skype.

I've never used skype, the hole I worked at before used it alot to call Isreal from the US,but I have no idea how good or bad it is.

Compile the source package??

No, you won't get a source package for Skype, it's closed-source and even the protocol isn't openly available. That's why it's looked down on by purists, even though it works really well for me :) And I doubt you'll find it from urpmi either, unless some "unofficial" repository redistributes the Skype binaries, but then how would you sign the EULA?

I'm guessing that since 10.0 there have been significant changes to the sound system and the GUI libraries in Mandr[ake|iva], so that getting the Skype binaries to work with Mandrake 10.0 would be rather painful. But yeah, arctic's link would be the place to start.