Which serial port is my modem on?

carlito

Is there a command that can tell me which serial port my modem is connected to? I've been setting up my Lexmark X73 all in one printer/scanner, was intially able to use the printer function with CUPS, wasn't able to use the scanner until I checked out the SANE homepage and got the firmware file (which Lexmark doesn't provide, thanks Lexmark), downloaded it and got everything configured. Everything works like a champ now, except I'm trying to get the fax feature going, installed hylafax client/server, got it configured, when I ran the faxaddmodem command, it asks which serial port my modem is connected to, and I really don't know. Any help with this is much appreciated.

Cripes you got me....

The serial port is really poorly supported now we have /proc

you might try guessing from /proc/irq and see what is allocated and work backwards?

or

lsdev

here is mine i have a wacom serial tablet

Device			DMA   IRQ  I/O Ports

serial					4  03f8-03ff

As you can see its IRQ 4 so that's serial port 1 (traditionally with IRQ3 being for serial 2)

Ok, I really feel like an idiot now. About 5 minutes after starting this topic, I realized that according to what's going on in my /dev folder, the serial port would probably be /modem, since as far as I can figure that's how Linux deals with these things instead of COM3, COM4, etc. Sure enough, faxaddmodem took that and ran with it. Everything is up and running now, I think I've just got to change some configuration files, cause everything comes up like it's supposed to but when I try to send the fax, it does nothing. Getting into the config files and finding what I need to change is sure to take several hours, but I love this OS so much that even hours of poring over config files is more fun than having to figure out how to do this on an M$ system.

use this to find the IRQ and IO port associated with your modem

#cat /proc/pci

then set up the com 2 port with this

#setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq X port Y

where X and Y are the irq and IO port found above

S0 will give a com 1 instead

S2 will give a com 3 instead

it's supposed to but when I try to send the fax, it does nothing.

you may have to check your log files to trace the problem...

as root issue command

tail -f /var/log/messages

then try to send fax, also on the hylafax client, you can also find there log files to check...

and make sure hylafax is running. usually, hylafax server listens on port 4559, so you can just do the command as root

netstat -anlp | grep fax

to see if hfaxd listens to 4559, means that hylafax is running..

if not then start it..

/etc/init.d/hylafax start

ok, this is the output of the netstat command:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4559 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5300/hfaxd

unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 177490 32485/ksendfax /tmp/ksocket-carl/ksendfaxbiafNb.slave-socket

unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 177488 32486/ksendfaxbiafN

unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 177474 32485/ksendfax

unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 177466 32485/ksendfax

unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 177458 32485/ksendfax

unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 177456 32485/ksendfax

unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 10528 5300/hfaxd

unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 10525 5290/faxq

and this is the output of the tail command:

Jun 26 07:13:37 localhost FaxQueuer[5290]: SUBMIT JOB 3

Jun 26 07:13:44 localhost kernel: Shorewall:net2all:DROP:IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=209.247.21.117 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=28 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=46102 PROTO=2

Jun 26 07:14:14 localhost kernel: Shorewall:net2all:DROP:IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=209.247.21.117 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=28 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=44055 PROTO=2

Jun 26 07:14:44 localhost kernel: Shorewall:net2all:DROP:IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=209.247.21.117 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=28 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=53016 PROTO=2

so apparently the hylafax daemon in running and listening to the correct port, still no luck sending anything. i've checked through all my other logs and haven't seen anything about the fax, so I'll just keep tinkering until I stumle across the answer, works every time!