I installed Mandriva 2006 the Free Edition my my Laptop:

Gericom Blockbuster 2400+ AMD Athlon Mobile

512 MRAM

60 GB HDD

ATI Mobility Radion 64 MRAM

2 USB

1 Firewire

and CD RW

the Problem is that the Fan of the Processor does not stop , it keeps working all the time , and KDE deos not show me my Battery indicator, can anyone please help me to solve these Problems?

Another thing when i plug my USB Optical Mouse, it works but too slow, but the Thouch Pad mouse which is on my Laptop built in works properly .... Any Idea ?

Best Regards,

FreeEagle

is ACPI enabled on your Notebook ?

look in MCC / System services, there should be two entrys ACPI and ACPID, both should be activated at startup

look in MCC / Package Management if you have these rpm-packages installed:

acpi

acpid

cpufreq

powernowd

acpitool (not absolutely necessary, but very informative)

klaptop (should give you a battery-monitor in KDE, it can be enabled in the KDE-Controlcenter, there you can enable some ACPI-settings too)

make sure that apm is uninstalled or at least not activated at startup if ACPI is working, since both might interfere

more info can be found in the following threads:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=32777

and

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=29653

Hi there...

thanks for your answer.... i checked what you said, and everything is installed, but now i went back to Mandrake 2005, i like it more than the 2006 , but the Problem is still here....

the fan of the Processor keeps running without stop , and the Laptop drive me to be crazy ....

can anyone help me ... i can see the Battery indicator on the try system, but the indicator show me nothing about the battery situation of my Laptop, i made right click on the Battery icon and tried to check everything, but the result still same :wall: ... i need a solution , otherwise i will move to ubuntu :unsure:

FreeEagle

maybe your notebook is one of those with a not standard-compliant acpi-implementation

do you have a directory /proc/acpi; is something in there ?

maybe upgrading the bios ?

a try with the ubuntu-live-cd would be worth a shot, if it works, then it's a mandriva problem (solution: throw the mandriva-cd out of the window :lol2: ), if it doesn't it's a general problem (solution: throw the notebook out of the window :lol2: , no not really, but I just don't like manufacturers that ignore standards)

Edited by lavaeolus

Firts of all thanks for the replay, secondly, if my Laptop have a non compatible Hardware, why then it works good with Ubuntu and does not work correctly with Mandriva ? Can you tell me, because i installed Kubuntu the last edition and the one one before and everything went well, but i like more Mandriva, therefore i want to find the solution for this Problem ... can you help me ?

Best Regards,

FreeEagle

ok, at least then it seems it's not a general hardware-incompatibility problem but related to mandriva

maybe kubuntu works because it uses a newer kernel version, have you tried the new mandriva 2007 live-cd ?, while it's alpha, it works reasonably well on my notebook and it uses the same kernel-generation as ubuntu, would be interesting if this works, maybe the kernel in mandriva 2006 is just a bit to old

Last time I installed Mandriva on the laptop, I found that speedstepping did not work out of the box. The CPU was running at full frequency and fan was working nonstop . After I loaded the centrino-speedstep kernel module (I have Intel CPU) and installed the frequency governor daemon called cpudyn, my 1.6GHz laptop runs at 600Mhz for most of the time. It's only when I am watching DVDs or doing something graphic intensive, I can hear the fan kicking in.

There are other frequency throttling daemons which may work better with the current kernel, cpufreqd or powernowd.

for my powernowd works far better then cpudyn, despite I'm using an Intel-CPU

do you now your cpu-temperature, there are tools like gKrellm that can show you at which temperature your cpu works, with acpitools you can check at which temperature your fan starts to work (it should show your actual cpu-temp too)

btw the mouse-problem you mentioned: I had a similar problem on three different notebooks with windows, it seems not to be a linux-specific-problem, but the touchpad and your mouse use different protocolls and speed-settings, I experienced just the opposite, when I plugged in my mouse it worked at normal speed but the touchpad was slow

for my powernowd works far better then cpudyn, despite I'm using an Intel-CPU

That's quite possible, my experience goes back nearly 3 years. My point is that the problem is directly related to the kernel, that could b the reason for mandrake and kubuntu working differently.

Also check what version of kernel you use by running uname -r. Try booting into a standard Mandriva kernel (the one whose name does not contain additional labels like smp, enterprise, etc.). You may still need to load a speedstepping module and powernowd/cpudyn/cpufreqd from console to see if this makes any difference.

the problem with the powernow-deamon is, that it is somewhat ill-named, it is working on all cpus with frequency-scaling capability, so the name is somewhat misleading, btw ubuntu and mandriva 2007 use powernowd now by default for frequency-scaling

and yes the problem seems to be kernel-related, it's just the question if it's a mandrake-specific kernel-patch or just the newer generation of the ubuntu-kernel