My Fedora experience

Couldn't it be done by a non-GTK/QT instead? Well then I guess peiople would complain that it's wayoff with their theme they are using then....just a thought.

Yes ncurses is light...

I mean why need X at all?

Im completely serious, just because its not X doesn't mean it can't be easy.

For instance Debconf calls the config stuff and looks for gtk ... then falls back to ncurses then something else...

So long as the tool is just manipulating CLI standard tools (as Arctic said) it doesn't matter and the code is the same just with conditions for the display.

Then you have again at the old problem that Mandriva has its own config-tools that are not necessarily compatible with KDE or Gnome native config-tools.

Can't vouch for Gnome but I have yet to find a KDE config tool that isn't compatible and I doubt Gnome is different. (i mean official KDE/Gnome not 3rd party)

The chicken egg is only because of maintining those tools .. if they ditch the tools and instead just use a standard one then the chicken no longer exists.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, It's not that I don't agree with you Gowator. I use most terminal the more I use linux. But there's some people out there who gets cold feet when they see the word non-X and commands and alot of newbies is scared away if they have to type or open the terminal.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

Well, It's not that I don't agree with you Gowator. I use most terminal the more I use linux. But there's some people out there who gets cold feet when they see the word non-X and commands and alot of newbies is scared away if they have to type or open the terminal.

Sorry that's not what I meant.

They can use X and gtk or qt... or http ... the main thing is to provide a front end to the tools and that front end doesn't need to be fixed .. its just passing parameters so if you have X and gtk it will use X and gtk... if you don't it falls back ...

This is the way most of the kanotix tools work like the network config etc. they just bring up the relevant dialog and debconf does the same ...

indeed dpkg -reconfigure debconf brings up a dialog

The dialog says : (sorry about the pipes)

Packages that use debconf for configuration share a common look and │

│ feel. You can select the type of user interface they use. │

│ │

│ The dialog frontend is a full-screen, character based interface, while │

│ the readline frontend uses a more traditional plain text interface, and │

│ both the gnome and kde frontends are modern X interfaces, fitting the │

│ respective desktops (but may be used in any X environment). The editor │

│ frontend lets you configure things using your favorite text editor. The │

│ noninteractive frontend never asks you any questions. │

│ │

│ What interface should be used for configuring packages?

options are

dialog

readline

gnome

kde

editor

non interactive

choose one and

Debconf prioritizes the questions it asks you. Pick the lowest priority │

│ of question you want to see: │

│ - 'critical' only prompts you if the system might break. │

│ Pick it if you are a newbie, or in a hurry. │

│ - 'high' is for rather important questions │

│ - 'medium' is for normal questions │

│ - 'low' is for control freaks who want to see everything │

│ │

│ │

│ Note that no matter what level you pick here, you will be able to see │

│ every question if you reconfigure a package with dpkg-reconfigure.

If you choose KDE but don't have KDE or the correct libs installed it falls back but you still have the option to use it.

OK real question, where/how do I set the mirrors for YUM... it seems incredibly slow... and i have FC mirrors on my ISP's server at 22Mbit ATM.

Ah okay :). Seems I misunderstood what you said earlier. My fault :D

Well i obviously didn't explain it well.

But now you see its actually really simple ...indeed quite a bit simpler than MCC!

The KDE interface isn't pretty, its not themed etc. etc. but its dialog boxes and stuff (try it in ubuntu) but it works... and if part of iot stops working then there is another interface to fallback onto.

For instance when configuring remotely I just use the basic text .. I could export the display and run KDE but heck... its hardly worth it ..