"rolling" distros vs. "fresh install" distros

null

A while back I gave one of my old machines to my 8 yr old son, and put win2k on it. All he does is play some games. He hasn't been able to use it for a couple weeks now... he forgot his password (he was the admin).

He's been bugging me to put linux on his computer. Guess I'll d/l & burn debian sarge, arch, and kanotix and try the install on all of them on my son's machine. That way I can get some install experience with several rolling distros, and I won't have to worry about trashing a working system... its already not working...!!!

Based on my opinions of the 3 or 4 distros I run through on his old machine, I'll decide which one I favor - to put on my win2k box as a dual-boot...

His old machine isn't all that great, but not too bad: 40 GB HD, 256 RAM, but only a 32MB video card.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A while back I gave one of my old machines to my 8 yr old son, and put win2k on it. All he does is play some games. He hasn't been able to use it for a couple weeks now... he forgot his password (he was the admin).

There are several programs to retrieve those passwords, just google.....

yeah, I know. Its no big deal though. He's only got 7 or 8 big games on it, and we have the CDs for them, so no big deal.

When I installed win2k for him, I made him the admin and set his pw. Now, it turns out he changed his pw ... but then forgot it...

I figure that its a good lesson for him to not be able to use his computer for a couple weeks...

I suppose I should recover his pw, and then do a "dual-boot" install on his machine... that way it would be practice for later doing it on my own win2k machine... (ie "practice on someone else's computer..")

If kde runs a little slow on that hardware, you may want to take a look at zenwalk:

http://www.zenwalk.org/

It's a rolling distro based on slackware that's designed for more modest hardware. I have it on a PIII 500MHz with 256MB of ram and it runs great. It installs Xfce by default but kde can be installed from their repo after the initial install as can gnome. Other kde based distros were pretty sluggish on this hardware compared to zenwalk.

Edited by pmpatrick