how do I know if I've been hacked?

doody

Dear Usergroup, (Also thanks to tyme, aisohin, SilverSurfer60 and ianw1974 for answering my last question.)

I have noticed recently that for no reason at all my internet connection can suddenly disappear. For example when I was trying to look at my last post on this site, everytime I clicked on it my browser disappeared. When typing this question my browser disappeared suddenly for no reason. Ive started to wonder about hackers. How can I check to see if I've been hacked, and how can I protect myself against them. Is there a way I can protect certain files on my PC with a password, so that even if I do get hacked they can't access my private files.

For the slightest reason my browser would shut down completely and disappear. I was not able to look at anything on the net. I have since shut down my PC and rebooted and now I am able to type this extra part.

I hope I have not been visited by a hacker.

I appreciate any help.

doody :mellow:

Edited by doody

doody,

You say your "Internet connection" disappears and then you later say your "browser disappeared".

These are two totaly different things. I am assuming that your connection to the Internet is OK and it is just a case of your WEB browser closing unexpectedly??

Which WEB browser are you using and have you tried using a different WEB browser to see if it also crashes unexpectedly?

When it does happen, can you then get to the Internet to check mail or do other things not using your WEB browser?

I know this does not answer your hacking questions, but lets get started with resolving your initial problem............

-Bill

Edited by congdonb

Could also be firefox which is dying ....

You can test, just do a ping to say www.mandrivausers.org in a terminal while browsing and see if the ping stops whebn firefox borks.

If this is the case then you can remove firefox completely and reinstall ...

I had a prob a while back with one version and the javasrcipt on here and other Invision sites reinstalling firefox solved it.

Dear congdonb and Gowator,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I think it was my browser that suddenly crashed. One minute I was clicking on a topic on this site and then I was back to my normal desktop and had to reload Firefox.

I wondered if it might be a hacker having a laugh, and kicking me off the net. I shut down my system and rebooted and I had no problems after that.

As you can tell, I am a newbie. I would appreciate your advice re: my previous questions about how to make files hacker proof and to know how I've been hacked and to prevent it. I've decided to not use and anti virus software after all.

Thanks again

doody :P

As you can tell, I am a newbie. I would appreciate your advice re: my previous questions about how to make files hacker proof and to know how I've been hacked and to prevent it. I've decided to not use and anti virus software after all.

Mainly unless you have a web server etc. you are pretty safe so long as you have a regualr user account and don't browse using root.

If you have services you are not using turn them off in the MCC ... if you don't need ssh access from another PC turn it off ... for each service you use you should check it out .. like ftp or apache etc. and make usre you secure it for your needs .. don't turn things on without thinking in other words.

Mandriva has the ability to be a fully functional server very easily but the more server services you use the more you need to look into making them secure.

As an OS linux is already pretty secure ... certainly compared to Windows check the MCC and see what is turned on in services and then ask here :D

Every day I run a rather elaborate calculation

of what has rolled through my server as legit

communication and check that with whatever

the log files report. I use

http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/

to keep track of the httpd traffic then take

all of the individual users traffic reported by

webalizer and compare that to the overall traffic

through all of the individual users. That should

balance but it never does. There's always some

undefinable traffic that usually measures in

the .05% range. If you look at all the logs in the

/var/log/

directories look for errors. I am especially

viligant about unsuccessful attempted log in's.

Sometimes they are automated sometimes not.

Sometimes I see lots of errors in there one

right after the other in only seconds period

of time.

When Mandrake 9.2 was released it defaulted

to an open proxy would eventually will be

found and your new Mandrake 9.2 server used

by everyone in the world. I saw my undefined

traffic at that time go from the under 0.05%

to over 20% in just a couple days before

I discovered the open proxy. Once I turned

it off undefined traffic went under 0.05% again.

If you are running a server lets say at:

http://65.234.834.75

that top level address is gonna get pinged

over and over especially by the Search engine

BOTS. That can be sensed as undefined traffic.

Mandriva 2006.0 is pretty clean. I've never

had someone crack into it and the undefined

traffic "noise" continues to remain under 0.05%.

On a typical month I can handle about 20GB of

traffic.