ftp install crawling

Gowator

Im just installing the 2006 edition via ftp since no iso is available but its incredibly slow.

Im downloading it over a 22Mbit ATM link direct from my ISP... if I download anything else I get at least 20Mbit/s but this is taking forever. I selected a minimal install of 500MB but its desperately slow just 5-7 Mbit/sec.

i can use the extra BW .. I just downloaded a 700MB (at the same time) iso and the speed of the download didn't change but I managed the 700 megs in a few minutes?

Is this a Cooker download, or the Official 2006 you're downloading? I'm pretty sure the ISO's are still available for the official release, which is why I'm assuming it's cooker.

Have you tried alternative ftp mirrors in case one is overloaded?

Is this a Cooker download, or the Official 2006 you're downloading? I'm pretty sure the ISO's are still available for the official release, which is why I'm assuming it's cooker.

Have you tried alternative ftp mirrors in case one is overloaded?

Its the official, according to the mandriva website

This is the raw installation tree for Mandriva Linux 2006. If you are looking for ISO images to burn CDs or a DVD, look in a few weeks in the other section of this page.

So I presume its unavailable?

The thing is I dloaded a whole 700MB CD from the same mirror at the same time (well started after install) and this dloaded at about 15 Mbit/sec .(the rest of my bandwith). finished and didn't affect the download speed of the mandriva install at all. So I don't know if its the installation doing this or the Official are on a different server or its just throttled to non-clubmembers?

I know they say you get access to high speed downloads if your a club member but I can install Debian at 20+Mbit/sec from the same server ...

edits

ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors

Edited by Gowator

Try here, this is where I downloaded both CD ISO's and DVD ISO's for Mandriva 2006 Free.

http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/M...so/2006.0/i586/

although I can only see CD ISO's now. I'll see if I can find another mirror hosting the DVD ISO.

EDIT:

DVD mirror here ftp://ftp.ps.pl/mirrors/mandrake/official/iso/2006.0/i586/

Me either, perhaps they forgot to remove when they updated the website, or to gain more business for people joining to purchase what they think isn't available :P

It's a conspiracy :D

Unless of course it's just referring to the powerpack editions which you have to purchase.

Me either, perhaps they forgot to remove when they updated the website, or to gain more business for people joining to purchase what they think isn't available :P

It's a conspiracy :D

Unless of course it's just referring to the powerpack editions which you have to purchase.

Well either way Im posting this from 2006 ... the install went well after the downloads and everything seesm to be working already, quite nice, certainly familiar ... especially since the power supply for my flatscreen is borked so Im back on a 15" really old CRT at the moment with a powered by mandrake sticker on !

It certainly feels quite fast.

This is the raw installation tree for Mandriva Linux 2006. If you are looking for ISO images to burn CDs or a DVD, look in a few weeks in the other section of this page.
So I presume its unavailable?

If you look at the other/next section, entitled "Mandriva Linux 2006 CD & DVD ISO images for i586 and x86_64", you'll see a link to this list of mirrors. ;)