amaroK

kwlam

I am using mandriva LE 2005. My amaroK is 1.2. I have downloaded the amaroK 1.4 (total 4 rpm). However, I cannot upgrade it to amaroK. I did not do it in the console and I just click the icon. What is the problem?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

dependency problem might be the cause.. try to post the errors you see in your console... this might give us clue..

ok, the amarok you'd just downloaded from its website are intended for Mandriva 2006... so I just dont know if installing it is a good idea.. try to use easy urpmi and add the ff. repo source..

main, contrib, update, plf free, and non-free

then try to update amarok from that repositories.. though its not 1.4, 1.3 might be, but at least it will not break your system

• 1 month later...

Hi there...

Decided to install RPMs for Mandriva(1.4.0a) . I have downloaded Amarok, libamarok, amarok-engine-xine, amarok-scripts

files form http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download.

Now when I try to install amarok.rpm i get "cannot be installed due to unsatisfied libamarok"

When I try to install libamarok I get the same error with amarok :)

What's wrong?

Thanks

2 Ian

urpmi amarok give ver. 1.3 and I don't like sound quality there... :)

Currently I try to install from .gz but dependency kills me

to Ian

I managed to compile the source before saw your reply (It could save me a lot of time :) )

Anyway I will know about this option!!

Still the quality of sound is like from tube...

And another one...

I don't completely understand the kmix options. When I change volume in amarok, in the kmix the PCM bar changes and when I move master volume in kmix nothing changes.I even can disable it...

In analogy to windows is absurd.

(My sound card is built in)

Thanks

Check if you're using alsa for sound, or something else. You can use Configure Your Desktop/Sound System and in an option here, change from Auto-Detect to ALSA and see if that works when you apply it. If not and it comes up with an error, your system might not be using ALSA.

If it doesn't, and works OK, try running:

su (enter root password when prompted)
alsaconf

and reconfigure your sound settings here for alsa, and then reboot, and check the volume levels in kmix again. By default they will be muted after running alsaconf, so you'll need to enable them again. And then see if volume sliders work, etc.

2 Ian

Did like you said. (In Sound System->Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (??) and in amarok engine-output plugin->alsa) Still same thing(quality of sound +kmix).

# alsaconf

bash: alsaconf: command not found

Thanks

Can it be that when I change amarok inner volume bar , none of mixer bars move??

Edited by rakavka

Try this:

[ian@europa ~]$ whereis alsaconf
alsaconf: /usr/sbin/alsaconf /usr/share/man/man8/alsaconf.8.bz2

did you type "su" to get root privileges first before typing the command? That might cause the failure. Or:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-utils-1.0.9-4mdk
libalsa2-1.0.9-1mdk
libalsa-data-1.0.9-1mdk
alsaconf-1.0.9-4mdk
libalsa2-devel-1.0.9-1mdk

and see if you have alsaconf installed, if the whereis command doesn't work. Also, in sound system, try ticking the full duplex option if it's not already. Mine isn't ticked, but I don't use amarok much at work on my machine. It is ticked at home though.

But then, all this could still be wrong :P but worth a try.

2 Ian

OK, I did install alsaconf and run it..

It said that it will change somthing in "amix" and that I will be able to use any mix I like .I rebooted.

Anyway in kmix nothing is muted and nothing is changed :( Still the only way to control volume from kmix is by PCM bar and Headphone . Master & Master Mono - no reaction.

THANKS