how to chmod the windows harddisk?

kwlam

I am using the mandriva LE 2005. I have two harddisk. One is windows. I can find the windows in /mnt/windows.

I want to change it to that I can view, write and execute as a user. I have tried to do it in root mode but it failed. I have tried in console and write ' chmod 777 /mnt/windows' but it failed too.

Can anybody help me?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

what's the filesystem of that windows partition? if its an NTFS, then Mandriva's default access on that is Read only...

It should be vfat as it is windows 98 SE. I can read it but I want to paste some files or folder from the /home directory to /mnt/windows directory but it said that access is denied. How to do it so that I can paste the file from /home directory to the /mnt/windows directory?

Yes ^ the VFAT doesn't support ownership therefore you have to set this in the mount command and the best way is usually adding to the fstab.

You can use the mount options uid=value and gid=value

Set the owner and group of the root of the file system (default: uid=gid=0, but with option uid or gid without

specified value, the uid and gid of the current process are taken).

setuid=value and setgid=value

Set the owner and group of all files.

in the options column of the fstab

You might want to check the permissions on /mnt/windows, sometimes it can cause problems, at least i believe it has for me recently.

To change permissions do the following:

Unmount the partition

# umount /mnt/windows

Change permissions

# chmod 777 /mnt/windows

then mount the partition again (note this command ensures that all drives are mounted as they are detailed in /ect/fstab, but it's quick and easy, and I don't know the exact name for the device you partition is sitting on).

# mount -a

Whats the contents of your /etc/fstab for the windows partition? I normally have a umask=0 set in the options which makes sure I can read/write.

Same here

A thought just occured to me, you should be able to set this using the partitioning tool in MCC, have a look at the options.

• 11 months later...

Go to http://easylinux.info/wiki/Mandriva#General_Notes

Scroll up to "9 Windows" under the contents section, and it will give you some advice about mounting partitions. Really useful, and understandable. I didn't have any luck with "chmod", but this was of great help.