Audio discs fail to play on CD but play on DVD

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help with this little pickle.

The drives are set up on the secondary IDE as follows:

/dev/hdc SONY CD-RW CRX230E

/dev/hdd _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A

I can play audio cd's fine with the DVD drive, yet I get errors with the CD drive. The CD-RW works fine when it comes to ordinary data discs and CD burning, and it works fine in windows.

I noticed this on dmesg:

hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 0

Anyone any suggestions as to why this may be happening?

There are no entries in fstab for the devices, I think HAL handles the mounting, possibly autofs, i'm not sure.

Cheers

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

CD drives don't get mounted, so fstab and HAL aren't the problem.

What errors do you get? What program are you using? You say you can play the audio cds from the cdrw drive in windows? Have you checked sound levels?

What errors do you get? What program are you using? You say you can play the audio cds from the cdrw drive in windows? Have you checked sound levels?

I've used as many programs as possible, none of them work. One of the error messages was along the lines of "libraries exist for cdda but the drive is not accessable", well something like that, this was with Totem. I can confirm the actual messages later. I get nothing from gnome cd player. Totally different situation when I use the dvd drive, everything plays fine!

Sound levels are okay, and yeah the audio cd's do play from the cdrw drive in wondows.

Riever, it appears that this is a known bug with the current FC5 KDE build. Seems that it happened with the FC4 release as well. The KDE audiocd protocol is missing.

I've been using FC5 for a couple of months now and hadn't even noticed it untill you mentioned it :mellow:

EDIT

After more searching, this may not be the same issue.

Edited by kmc77

Reiver, I fixed the issue on my computer by installing the stable kdemultimedia-3.5.3-2.fc5.kde.i386.rpm from rpmpbone.net. Audio CD is playing without a problem using kaffeine. I haven't tried any other players yet. I am also able to view the contents of an audio cd now, with the "audiocd:/" option in the konqueror address bar, whereas before I just got an error that "audiocd:/" was not a valid option.

*EDIT*

Just confirmed that I can also play cd's using XMMS.

Edited by kmc77