Re-installing NoMachines NxClient [solved]

camorri

I have been trying to get freenx to work with NoMachines nxclient for about a month, without any success. I have freenx installed on my Mandriva 2006 system. I have Ubuntu installed on an old laptop. I have the client installed on Ubuntu, however I can not get it to authenticate with any keys.

I did some reading, and decided to try to get the nxclient to connect locally first, using 127.0.0.1. Over time I have installed and removed and reinstalled freenx on Mandriva using URPMI. I had installed nxclient-1.5.0-141.i386.rpm, and it launched without problems. Through my continued attempts to get this thing going, I deleted the directory for the client. Dumb I know. :wall:

I downloaded the client again, but I can not get it to install with the following command : rpm -ivh nxclient-1.5.0-141.i386.rpm It reports it is installed. If I try to uninstall it, rpm reports it is not installed. The client won't run, infact 'locate nxclient' only finds the rpm file.

Is there a way out of this box? As I understand it, there is a rpm database that keeps track of installed rpms. I guess I've messed it up.

Second question, is there a .mdk package for the nxclient? ( my guess is no, since NoMachine owns the code ).

i believe the command to rebuild your rpm database is:

rpm --rebuilddb

give that a try

also, it is often better to use the urpmi command instead of rpm to install a package.

urpmi [filename].rpm

IIRC.

Thank-you for the reply. That has cleared up th emess I made. I now have it re-installed. I did not know you could ude URPMI to install a .rpm file.

Thank-you.