where are the on-line update files stored?

keropi

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just use rsync, and pick a mirror. Whilst the initial sync takes a while for 1.1GB (current size of 2006 updates), after that it's a doddle. My work machine runs a scheduled rsync every morning. My machines at home, I do manually.

I have ftp server running on the machine that rsync'd the updates, and all my urpmi repositories for updates point to this machine.

This saves you having to copy the updates from one machine to another after you've pulled the updates, but this method would be quicker for just getting the updates you require, rather than downloading the whole updates tree like I do :P

I must be going blind. I have gone through /usr/sbin/rpmdrake at least 8 times and I cannot find ...post_clean_cache .....anywhere. :wall:

Jagwah can you give me a rough idea where abouts the line is ????. Is it a fifth or a quarter or half or whatever way down the page ???.

This is getting very frustrating. :wall:

Cheers. John.

AussieJohn, as spinynorman mentioned if you open the file in KWrite, it will be on line 1619

In KEdit it is on line 1731

I just clicked edit/find in KEdit, and inserted post_cache_clean, hit the find button. It is probably 7/8's the way down the page, the following is the surrounding text,

};

my $fh;

my @errors = $urpm->install(

$urpm->{ask_remove},

\%sources_install,

\%sources,

translate_message => 1,

post_clean_cache => 0,

callback_open => sub {

my ($data, $type, $id) = @_;

my $f = $sources_install{$id} || $sources{$id};

open $fh, $f or $urpm->{error}(N("unable to access rpm file [%s]", $f));

return fileno $fh;

},

Bold highlighting added, and of course yours should say =>1 instead of =>0

This is getting very frustrating. :wall:

I can relate to that, it's a pain when somthing that should be isn't. Hope you get it sorted.

Ttttttttuuuuuuuurrrrrrraaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Got it at last. My sincere special thanks to Spinynorman. Also a very big thanks to Jagwah, Gowater and Ian for your persistant help on this. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Not only did it solve my problem but I have learnt more about how to use kwrite (and kedit which I don't have installed) to find stuff in a document. I think that is my greatest gain from all this. We continue to learn every day. :D :D

Thanks everyone again. John.

• 2 months later...
Open the file /usr/sbin/rpmdrake

search for "post_clean_cache" there will only be 1 instance

change the 1 to a 0

save the file

and thats it.

hmmm, This seems to no longer work with 2007, at least not the same way, it does save the rpm's at first, however if you run mcc again and download/install more, you seem to loose the previous ones, and are only left with what you installed in the most recent session, well this is how it appears to happen now. So unless you save the rpm's to another location after each update/package installation, you'll probably loose what you had previously. They don't accumulate.

Anyone else verify this?

Well it appears if you install software via konsole (urpmi --noclean blabla) it will keep the rpm's and any other rpm's that are already there, BUT, if you then later install any software via MCC, it will delete any previous rpm's, leaving you with only the rpm's from the current session. Oh well :(

This is with RC1 (mona)

• 2 months later...
Well it appears if you install software via konsole (urpmi --noclean blabla) it will keep the rpm's and any other rpm's that are already there, BUT, if you then later install any software via MCC, it will delete any previous rpm's, leaving you with only the rpm's from the current session. Oh well :(

This is with RC1 (mona)

I had the same problem (a real nuisance on dial-up when my connection dies). But the following seems to have fixed the problem:

As well as changing the "post_clean_cache" setting to 0 in /usr/sbin/rpmdrake, I also changed "clean_all => 1" to 0 (it's the only one in the file). The RPM's now remain in the cache even after closing & restarting the Control Center.

I just found another thing to make life easier. This is for the problem when downloads are interrupted (all too common for dial-up).

By default, if you are downloading a bunch of files (such as updates), through the Control Centre and the download is interrupted (whether you cancel it yourself or the connection drops out), when you restart the install process, it downloads everything that has already been downloaded again.

However, if you add the word "resume" (see below) to the top of your /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file, the download will restart from the file that was interrupted. Every file already downloaded will not be downloaded again. This will even work if you exit the Control Centre. Just don't move the partially downloaded rpm from the partial to the rpms folder - I assume the Control Centre looks in the rpms folder to see what completed downloads are already there. Here's the change to the urpmi.cfg file:

{

downloader: curl

verify-rpm: 1

resume

}

By the way, I would like to thank the previous posters in this topic. I came here looking for a way to keep the rpm's after they were installed, and your advice was very helpful. It made me decide to experiment to see if there was a way of resuming downloads. I did a bit of searching here & on other sites & found the "resume" command which can be used in a terminal as --resume. I then backed up my config file (in case my changes messed things up) before adding resume to the config. After experimenting by interrupting downloads several times it looks like it does the job perfectly.

Amen to COOL. In fact Super Cool, Seaeagle. Another Aussie does it for us Aussies. ( and everyone else here at MUB of course. :D :D :D ) I will be adding that mod immediately. I have been using the post_clean_cache setting to 0 since the earlier part of this thread, routinely and it is extremely handy for system reinstalls.

Cheers. John.

PS. I just added the three lines you showed in your post since the first two lines were not there. Is that correct???. Please let me know.

John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I'm just glad that I could finally contribute something back to the forum that has given me so much help over the past couple of years.

AussieJohn - those lines were already in my config file when I did the modifications yesterday. The first line tells rpmdrake which downloader to use to retrieve the files (Curl or Wget). The second line tells it to verify the package signatures. In your Control Centre, in the section where you select the repositories to download packages from, there is a "Global Options" button (at least there is in Mandriva 2007 - I don't know about earlier versions). That button gives you the option to choose your downloader & whether to verify packages, so I assume that's what writes to the config file. Maybe the lines got written into my file because I changed those options a couple of times. I see by your sig that you're using 2007 too, so it shouldn't do any harm to leave those lines in.

What I'm doing with the downloaded updates is moving them across to my home partition afterwards. Then, if I do a reinstall in future, I can just move them all back to the urpmi cache. That way any updates that are still current won't be downloaded again, but it will still download those files where there have been several updates since then.

Thanks. That moving of rpms is the same as I do except that I have a seperate partition that I call zstore (z is so it is always the last in the list of partitions when seen in konqueror and therefore easier to spot. In there I also keep nvidia video drivers as well. also quick to find)

Thanks again. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.