where are the on-line update files stored?

keropi

I am currently updating online mandriva 2006 powerpack, ~950MB.... where are those rpm's stored so I can save them for the future? because I am a complete linux newbie, and I might re-format or install on a pc at my workplace, which only has 56k internet access....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are stored in

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms

When you update your box, run urpmi with the following parameters from a command line (terminal)

urpmi --noclean --auto-select

The --noclean is important, as otherwise all rpms will be removed from the chache once the upgrade is completed.

If you have a net-connection, you can download the latest stable packages directly from the mirrors. A network-install will last some one or two hours on DSL, depending on the speed you have.

The packages from /var/cache/urpmi can be burned on a CD, then copied to a folder of your choice on a fresh install and with the MCC (Mandriva Control Center) you can add some custom repositories in a minute. You can choose between a folder of your choice, a net-source of your choice or a removable medium, like CDs. It is quite self explaining. Just take a look at it. Once the repo is set up, mark it as active and disable (=uncheck) the other ones that you don't need. Then let the system update all packages.

If you run into problems, just ask.

Good luck :)

Then I would say you have all the current updates. Updates do not necessarily appear ever day, some times there can be long periods then a couple of package updates then sometimes quite a number of them ( security updates mainly).

Just be patient and check just once a day at max or on average every 2 or 3 days. Any updates will appear quite speedily after being released.

Cheers. John.

There's another alternative, which I tend to use. I rsync an updates mirror to one of my machines. Then, I have ftp server installed on this machine, so that all my other machines can connect and download the updates which I sync'd to the main machine (the urpmi source for updates points to my local machine, rather than an ftp mirror). Each time updates are released, I re-run the rsync, and then update my machines accordingly.

so, in order to keep the updates, I run the urpmi command before the update and when I update from MCC they will remain?

No, you do the updates with the urpmi command. The command line and MCC are alternatives. If you use the command line, you can save the packages with the --noclean parameter; if you use MCC, you can't save them at all.

Aha Mr. Spiny..man. that I did not know and that would explain why I was never able to save rpms at anytime even though I always issued the noclean command before downloading the rpms. :thumbs: I have always downloaded them via MCC.

I always thought that it was just my OS being cantankerous. :wall:

Cheers and thanks. John.

Aha Mr. Spiny..man. that I did not know and that would explain why I was never able to save rpms at anytime even though I always issued the noclean command before downloading the rpms. :thumbs: I have always downloaded them via MCC.

I always thought that it was just my OS being cantankerous. :wall:

Cheers and thanks. John.

You can also edit the /etc/urpmi.conf (or similar) and add the noclean option there and it will then be used by default by trhe MCC and CLI