Waiting for 9.X-RC2,3,4 ??

Guest anon

I would actually prefer to upgrade from CD MottS. Thanks for the info though. I have downloaded all 3 CD images, using RSYNC, but they don't seem to be any smaller ? Why is this ? I could have just used FTP to do the same thing. I though RSYNC would only download the parts of the Images which were different from RC 1 ?

Exactly .. rsync compare your rc1 with what is on the server and download the difference. The rc2 image aren't supposed to be smaller.. the rc2 images are the same size actually. Here was the output of my rsync on cd1.

MandrakeLinux-9.1rc2-CD1.i586.iso

682131456 100% 63.96kB/s 2:53:34

rsync[19315] (receiver) heap statistics:

arena: 41656 (bytes from sbrk)

ordblks: 1 (chunks not in use)

smblks: 1

hblks: 0 (chunks from mmap)

hblkhd: 0 (bytes from mmap)

usmblks: 0

fsmblks: 48

uordblks: 40656 (bytes used)

fordblks: 1000 (bytes free)

keepcost: 952 (bytes in releasable chunk)

Number of files: 1

Number of files transferred: 1

Total file size: 682131456 bytes <====================Actual size of the image

Total transferred file size: 682131456 bytes

Literal data: 409370624 bytes <=====================Part that was transfered

Matched data: 272760832 bytes <====================Amount of matched datas

File list size: 52

Total bytes written: 250339

Total bytes read: 409489823

wrote 250339 bytes read 409489823 bytes 39170.23 bytes/sec

total size is 682131456 speedup is 1.66

BTW, you can upgrade with the floppy.. this is just a method to avoid burning the cds. The rest is exactly the same!

MOttS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Format a floppy and make a boot floppy out of the hd.img that can be found in /image diretory of the iso image

Code:

mke2fs /dev/fd0

dd if=/mnt/Somewhere/image/hd.list of=/dev/fd0 

MottS;

I want to give this a try, just so I can see how it runs, and so that I can say I did an upgrade this way. Perhaps I may add to my list of things on the Website. I am confused about the disk dump option, am I creating a new hd.list of the ISO Images ? Or am I copying the ISO image contents of the mounted CD 1 to floppy ? Also should this process be done for all 3 CDs ? I understand about RSYNC now. What do I put in my fstab to get the images to mount at boot time ?

/mnt/cd1 /mnt/path/to/isoimage ??????? not sure about the rest of the settings ?

I am confused about the disk dump option, am I creating a new hd.list of the ISO Images ? Or am I copying the ISO image contents of the mounted CD 1 to floppy ? Also should this process be done for all 3 CDs ?

Your second affirmation is right. You have to create a floppy out of the file hd.list that is in the iso image (in /image directory). And you don't have to do that for all 3 cds.. just the first one. Anyway there is no /image directory in the other 2 images.

Good luck !

MOttS

MottS;

I was editing my post to ask you, what goes in the fstab to mount the images automatically ? I must have been editing it as you were replying. Sorry.

/mnt/cd(x) /mnt/path/to/isoimage,fs=iso9660 -o loop ?

So far the boot floppy isn't working. The first time it errored out, bad floppy I think, going to give it another try using the following command;

mke2fs /dev/fd0

dd if=/mnt/cd1/images/hd.img of=/dev/fd0

Both seemed to run this time without errors.

MottS;

The floppy idea wouldn't work, so I just upgraded using CDs. Problem now is that my Destop is messed up big time. My launcher and bar at the top of the desktop are gone, any idea how to restore it, or at least get into my settings to restore it ?

Unable to locate the ISO image due to filesystem I am running. I have XFS running on partitions except for swap ...etc. Why would this be a problem ?

Because XFS is quite new and wasn't _probably_ compiled in the kernel that is on the floppy. I'm using ReiserFS, ext3 and fat and they were all detected no prob...

The floppy idea wouldn't work, so I just upgraded using CDs. Problem now is that my Destop is messed up big time. My launcher and bar at the top of the desktop are gone, any idea how to restore it, or at least get into my settings to restore it ?

Have no idea which desktop you are using here...

Try deleting you .gnome or .kde or .whatever file that is in your $HOME directory. Back up first !

MOttS

Got it all back finally, I had to readd the panels and set everything up again. Thanks for the help dude. One last question for you though. How do I mount the ISO images in the FSTAB ? I have the general idea, but not sure about the options part ? Yeah it sucks about using XFS, maybe this is why I am having such a hard time with the games as well. Just a thought, I never used XFS before, and I never had problems upgrading or applying patches for each game.

How do I mount the ISO images in the FSTAB ? I have the general idea, but not sure about the options part ?

Well, I'm not sure for the options too. This is why I don't use them that much.. lol. Here is my lines in fstab

/home/gd/MandrakeLinux-9.1rc2-CD1.i586.iso /mnt/cd1 iso9660 umask=0 0 0

/home/gd/MandrakeLinux-9.1rc2-CD2.i586.iso /mnt/cd2 iso9660 umask=0 0 0

/home/gd/MandrakeLinux-9.1rc2-CD3.i586.iso /mnt/cd3 iso9660 umask=0 0 0

To add them to urpmi do

urpmi.removemedia -a

urpmi.addmedia cd1 file://mnt/cd1/Mandrake/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist1rpms.cz

urpmi.addmedia cd2 file://mnt/cd2/Mandrake/RPMS2 with synthesis.hdlist2rpms.cz

urpmi.addmedia cd3 file://mnt/cd1/Mandrake/RPMS3 with synthesis.hdlist3rpms.cz

MOttS

• 6 months later...
Guest fubar::chi
How do I mount the ISO images in the FSTAB ? I have the general idea, but not sure about the options part ?

Well, I'm not sure for the options too. This is why I don't use them that much.. lol. Here is my lines in fstab

/home/gd/MandrakeLinux-9.1rc2-CD1.i586.iso /mnt/cd1 iso9660 umask=0 0 0

/home/gd/MandrakeLinux-9.1rc2-CD2.i586.iso /mnt/cd2 iso9660 umask=0 0 0

/home/gd/MandrakeLinux-9.1rc2-CD3.i586.iso /mnt/cd3 iso9660 umask=0 0 0

To add them to urpmi do

urpmi.removemedia -a

urpmi.addmedia cd1 file://mnt/cd1/Mandrake/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist1rpms.cz

urpmi.addmedia cd2 file://mnt/cd2/Mandrake/RPMS2 with synthesis.hdlist2rpms.cz

urpmi.addmedia cd3 file://mnt/cd1/Mandrake/RPMS3 with synthesis.hdlist3rpms.cz

MOttS

to add the disk to fstab i had to add the -o and loop options. this is what mine looked like.

/mnt/stuff/MandrakeLinux-9.2rc2-CD1.i586.iso /mnt/disk/1 iso9660 -o,loop,user,umask=0 0 0

/mnt/stuff/MandrakeLinux-9.2rc2-CD2.i586.iso /mnt/disk/2 iso9660 -o,loop,user,umask=0 0 0

/mnt/stuff/MandrakeLinux-9.2rc2-CD3.i586.iso /mnt/disk/3 iso9660 -o,loop,user,umask=0 0 0