fonts blurry, is there a cleartype for mandriva?

linux n00b

im not sure if its mandriva in general or if its just firefox, its bad in firefox, but mandriva seems ok but im guess thats because it has bigger fonts, i increased them and the settings in firefox but they are still blurry

(yes i did a search on the forums, didnt find anything )

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Would you please yake a screen shot and post it so that I could see what you see? While I do not like some of the linux fonts, "blurry" is not exactly what I use to describe what I see in some fonts.

Oh. I missed the specific name. Yes, everyone but Microsoft calls it antialiasing and autohint. Microsoft calls it "cleartype".

Would you please yake a screen shot and post it so that I could see what you see? While I do not like some of the linux fonts, "blurry" is not exactly what I use to describe what I see in some fonts.

well I bumped up the default font sizes in firefox and that helped a bunch, so I guess that is all i needed to do, I'm using gnome and running under vmware so its kinda a big mess :lol2:

For GNOME, you'll want to go to Desktop - Preferences - Font (also, you can just run gnome-font properties) and there are a few options for font rendering. You can press Details and get more specific options, but if you're using an LCD I suggest Subpixel Smoothing.

For GNOME, you'll want to go to Desktop - Preferences - Font (also, you can just run gnome-font properties) and there are a few options for font rendering. You can press Details and get more specific options, but if you're using an LCD I suggest Subpixel Smoothing.

thanks i tested lower fonts in firefox and that does it :)

I havent installed vmware-tools yet, but thats soemthing I'll be doing later on and I'll make another post for it if i have probs