Still undecided? Then install Fedora Core 5!

jlc

Sorry, but I can't agree with that article on DW as it suggests that Fedora is the winner on the basis that Ubuntu and SuSE are apparently below par, totally disregarding the fact that Fedora has it's fair share of problems as much as the next guy. There was absolutely no constructive case for Fedora other than pointing out problems with other distros.

(p.s. I use Fedora and I am just as happy with it as I was with Mandriva, gentoo, etc........)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was stated as an opinion on Distrowatch, so I don't think you should put so much into it, Reiver_Fluffi.

But you're right every distro have their problems to struggle with.

I'm going to download Mandriva One Club Edition to check it out, stumble upon it on the club member page. Anyone tried it?

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

I might try it in vmware to see what I'm missing out on. FC4 was OK, but the only niggles that annoyed me were that when I logged in as root, I could use most of the tools without having to provide the full path /sbin/chkconfig, etc, etc. When logged in as a normal user, and then going to superuser, you had to use the path. Maybe just a bashrc config or something :unsure:

It depends what you're trying to do as root, but "su -" might be your friend here.

Sorry for the :offtopic:, I've not used FC for a while.

I only tried the non-club Mandriva One release. Works pretty well on my systems.

Sounds good, looking forward to try it :)

Sorry about the OT, but ontopic I can add that one day I'm gonna try Fedora. The only thing that keeps me away is .rpm (well not .rpm itself but the applications which are use to download and install it) but now I'm gonna try mandriva one, so I hope it give a positive impression and it could have been improved since I last I tried a .rpm based distro :)

I finished downloading it. ( my work is very gracious in allowing me to do this.) I have a question however, can I download the updates and install them from a disc? I live in the country with horrible phone lines, thus crappy dial up. If not I may not burn these.

I finished downloading it. ( my work is very gracious in allowing me to do this.) I have a question however, can I download the updates and install them from a disc? I live in the country with horrible phone lines, thus crappy dial up. If not I may not burn these.

Sure, you can create a local repository with "createrepo" :)

Or somethng like yum localinstall *.rpm should look through them and update too.

any one that ran/runs Dapper and FC5 got any comments on speed/performance between the 2? I don't care about bootup just after login. Dapper is tearing me up. I told myself to keep the month old devel version and not upgrade to the release, because everyhting was hunkydory, but noOOOo....I had to :wall: I have to turn nautilus off, use a light metacity and the thinice engine to get anything done.

any one that ran/runs Dapper and FC5 got any comments on speed/performance between the 2? I don't care about bootup just after login. Dapper is tearing me up. I told myself to keep the month old devel version and not upgrade to the release, because everyhting was hunkydory, but noOOOo....I had to :wall: I have to turn nautilus off, use a light metacity and the thinice engine to get anything done.

I know I'm biased, but what the hey :)

I installed the last one or two before final on my laptop and it drove me crazy, with in an 2 or 3 hours, i was back in Fedora. YMMV, from what i hear people say the same thing about Fedora, but it feels and response a lot faster than dapper did on my box and I treat my OS pretty hard :)

I also run selilnux, which can take a hit on performance, but again, i don't feel any slow down in fc5 that i did in dapper.

thx! You'd think there'd be an improvement from devel to release, not the other way around, and not twice as bad :wall: Just a few days ago, and before, I hardly ever touched my swap, but now I do every boot. Haven't singled anything out, just seems a lot of things are using more mem, and I wish I new why and if anything can be done about it.

/bvc goes searching...... :whistle:

thx! You'd think there'd be an improvement from devel to release, not the other way around, and not twice as bad :wall: Just a few days ago, and before, I hardly ever touched my swap, but now I do every boot. Haven't singled anything out, just seems a lot of things are using more mem, and I wish I new why and if anything can be done about it.

/bvc goes searching...... :whistle:

YEah, i know it was running debug, but I run rawhide and opensolaris and they weren't as slow so I just gave up on it :)

If you try FC5, don't forget about the respin dvd if bittorrents not bad.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=32586

Edited by jlc

Hmm... I remember that you had some similar problems already once with Ubuntu, bvc. And iirc, it was related to your X settings, combined with the cairo-stuff. Maybe again the culprit?

BTW: Gnome is very fast on FC5.

Hmm... I remember that you had some similar problems already once with Ubuntu, bvc. And iirc, it was related to your X settings, combined with the cairo-stuff. Maybe again the culprit?

BTW: Gnome is very fast on FC5.

It was a setting (renderaccel) that was disabled because of a cairo bug that has been fixed for some time now. Disabling it again makes things much slower with any theme, but thanks for picking my brain.