wireless on arch [solved]

I am trying to get my wireless connection working on an arch installation.

I have the correct drivers for the wireless adapter (zd1211) and they load fine so the device is working.

in an attempt to bring the network up I do:

#ifconfig [ip address of laptop] wlan0 up
#iwconfig wlan0 essid [essid of access point] key restricted [wep key]
# route add default gw [ip address of router] netmask 255.255.255.0

this appears to bring the network up as ifconfig shows wlan0 as having the ip address entered and iwconfig shows wlan0 as havving the correct ESSID and the access points MAC address is displayed correctly.

However if I ping any address (other than the laptops) the ping fails reach its destination.

I had this working a while ago (so I know it can work) but cannot work out why it is not working now (or more exactly what I am (not) doing to prevent it working now.

thanks

Leo

does your network use dhcp?

in which case you can skip the route line, and just run 'dhcpcd wlan0'

Sorry I didn;t mention ythis initially, I tried that as well but it just seemed to hang for a while and when the prompt returned it had dropped the connection. Could the route line have prevented this from working?

Leo

Normally when I've used route lines, they were without the subnet mask bit, so:

route add default gw ip_addr

and that usually is all that's required, so not sure if the additional bit is causing the problems :unsure:

The other thing to test is without the encryption and use your wireless open for testing to make sure it's not the encryption causing the ping failures. If it doesn't authenticate, the card will show as being up, but pings fail.

does your network use dhcp?

in which case you can skip the route line, and just run 'dhcpcd wlan0'

Sorry I didn;t mention ythis initially, I tried that as well but it just seemed to hang for a while and when the prompt returned it had dropped the connection. Could the route line have prevented this from working?

Leo

Well, that will teach me to comment before trying, I left out the route command and tried dhcpcd wla0 instead and it worked beatifully.

Thanks James :thumbs:

Leo