Kernel

AussieJohn

I have 2006 Official with all updates. I have downloaded the latest kernel and matching kernel-source from cooker.

The machine boots up normally with the existing 2.6.12-22 aok and still does but when I select the 2.6.16 the bootup runs about one third of the usual bootup and the stops and the shows a line "disconnecting irq 3 " and the shortly says "disconnecting irq 14" then a short time later again repeats the irq 14 line. And that is where it stays. I can immediately reboot normally into the 2.6.12-22 with no trouble at all. This is the first time ever that I have had a problem with a kernel from cooker so it is quite a surprise.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so were you able to solve it or are aware of any other posts on this subject.

I am not talking about a recompiled kernel here because I have never felt I had the need to compile a kernel.

Cheers. John.

Thanks Arctic and Iphitus.

I have the serial port disabled in the bios because I have no serial devices and the only ide devices are my DVD reader and my DVD burner. No IDE HDDS. Remember that booting with my normal kernel is AOK.

I'll do a reboot now and come back with a supplementry post. I'll do a camera shot of the screen for you.

Thanks and cheers. John.

Bump. I tried to find a hint what special part could cause this freeze by comparing it to a bootchart image (like that one http://www.bootchart.org/images/bootchart.png ) but I don't know which part might cause it exactly. It looks as if it is one of the many udev of hotplug scripts cause the freeze. But it is just a guess.

Hi Arctic. What you say is very interesting. At the moment I am not having anything showing up as mass storage device and as such have been unable to read my cameras XD card in the Memory card reader that I have installed. Nor does it detect my camera as a USB storage device either so I have had to do a work around as you see by the sdc1 line in the screenshot where I connect the camera and switch it on then reboot, then I can copy out.

This does not stop from booting up except with the newest kernel so maybe it is not as forgiving as the one I am presently using.

I only experienced this lack of mass storage detection after I did a recent 2006-Official Updates (not cooker) so would have no idea which update package caused it. I checked hotplug is installed and it is although I haven't uninstalled it and reinstalled it be sure it is OK.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Cheers. John.

In relation to the /dev/sdc1 line, you can add in the parameters noauto, so it'll not mount at boot and clear this error. That means you can leave the line active, whether the disk/camera, etc is not connected or connected, and save the edit and reboot.

Then, what it should do is go into Devices in KDE and double click the respective device, and it'll mount at that point, instead of mounting at bootup.

Hello Tyme. Sorry for the delay, been out and taking care of a few things that had backed up.

I tried to get the screen to pause but no luck so I resorted to the camera.

The pic shows the place you were referring to and if you need them I have a couple of continuing shots that I can bring up in an extra post. Before this post I did a complete reinstall because I tried out the KDE3.5 from cooker. It screwed up the entire attempt to login and I was so disappointed that I just could not be bothered to sort it out. I won't be going down that path for a while.

Thanks in advance. John