using AVG anti virus

doody

Dear usergroup

I have downloaded AVG free anti virus software for Linux.

I did a scan and clicked the relevant things (I think!) and it started scanning but afterwards when i looked at the log it just showed lots of 'cannot open, not checked, permission denied'.

What do I need to do to do a proper scan?

Thanks for your help.

doody :P

open console, then type

su

enter password

avggui

That will allow you to scan the whole PC (well almost) including any other users stuff. If you just open it via the start menu you won't be able to scan other users stuff, and probably other stuff you don't have access to. You will still get some of those messages you mention, but not as many. Why you get them I don't know, if you just do a scan of the /sys folder, you will see that most of the enties in the scan log gives you that error message. I think because those files are locked. If you go into Service/Program Settings and select the Report tab, then check "Do not report locked files" and then scan the /sys folder again, those messages will be gone. Which leads you to think that they can't be scaned because they are 'locked files', so it seems that even though you are running the program as root, there are still some things it will not allow you access to. This is only what I think, and may well be wrong, I'm only a Linux noob aswell, let us know if you find out anything.

It definitely needs to be run as root to access most of the drive(s). You will still get reports of cannot open as some files are locked as they are in use. If you want or need a full scan you will have to shut down any gui and got to a run level 3, log in as root and then run a scan. Once done you shouldn't need to do a full scan like that again. In fact it is not necessary to do one, but by all means do it, if you feel better.

Thanks for your replies tyme, jagwah, aloshin, SilverSurfer60 and ianw1974!

I think I will take ianw1974s advice and just not use an antivirus software for linux. I didn't understand all the advice given in my last posting. It seems too complicated!

What I might do instead is the following..... if it's possible

Is it possible to make some folders (i.e. some word processing folders) secure so that they can only be opened by a root password or something like that?

Even though I know Linux is secure, I don't like the thought of some hacker getting into my files and looking at my CV for exmple. That could be used for identity fraud.

Is there a way I could do this? That would give me peace of mind, knowing that there would be some files even a hacker could not get into.

Yes! I am still traumatised by all the trojans I used to get daily using Windows.

Thanks for any advice

doody :D