Debian - Please Help

Hello all,

I've installed Debian and it installed smoothly and everything, except when the graphical environment loads, the colors and pixels are all messed up on the screen, It looks (grainy) if that helps, and color quality is very poor, When I go to the configure desktop, it says the resolution is set to 640 X 480 (even after I said it was 1024 X 768 (or whatever the standard size is for most). However, this isn't even an option on the drag down menu, there is only 640 X 480, 416 X 312, 400 X 300, and 320 X 240. Someone please help me :wall:

-Neocytrix

That file doesn't exist. This is everything I have in /etc/X11

app-defaults gdm X Xresources Xsession.options

cursors rgb.txt XF86Config-4 xserver xsm

default-display-manager rstart xinit Xsession Xwrapper.config

fonts sysconfig xkb Xsession.d

XF86Config-4

oh, they never switched? yuk

You can upgrade to unstable quite easily ...

edit your /etc/apt/sources.list

You change the stable for

# Unstable

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

# Testing
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

From the command line

init 3

or /etc/init.d/xdm stop (xdm can be also kdm opr gdm depending on the login manager)

then

apt-get update

apt-get dist-upgrade

Debian Unstable ( AKA Sid ) sounds scary, and it can be like that at times, but it's almost as stable as Mandriva current, and certainly nowhwere close to the Cooker "genuine unstable" mess...

Easiest way to have Sid installed at your box is a Kanotix liveCD.

Yep it certainly is, even the best wayt to install a mix of stable and unstable by installing and then downgrading.

Certainly the core functionality of unstable is very stable, more stable than any mandrake I ever used.

The unstable elements are mostly trivial parts for instance a mail reader where you actually have a lot of choices if one version doesn't work for you anyway.

Has unstable later releases of software? I originally downloaded Debian 3.1 (sarge I think) and just wondered if unstable or testing had much newer components, such as kernel, kde, etc, etc.

Has unstable later releases of software? I originally downloaded Debian 3.1 (sarge I think) and just wondered if unstable or testing had much newer components, such as kernel, kde, etc, etc.

Yes, in most things its not huge for instance KDEbase is presently

4:3.3.2-1 sarge

4:3.5.2-2 testing

4:3.5.3-1 unstable

But Xorg is still only in testing and stable ...

1.7.0.18 sarge (stable)

1.7.0.20 unstable

This is not necassarily because xorg is unstable but that some of the utilities etc. have not been fully tested....hence they are with trusted xfree

Whereas I don't mind being a bit out of date with KDE or some trivial apps the current situation with xorg is a bit different.

I have never really found unstable to be any less stable than Mandriva wheras Stable is pretty much rock solid. Of course it misses lots of apps but these are available as backports from testing into stable so the deps match but then they aren't guaranteed stable. However if its sometihng like a browser its not so important as the kernel or some underlying important software.. you can always just use a different browser... and it won't crash anything else.

• 1 month later...

Can I safely remove the updates line from sources.list? Reason is I change the two lines to unstable from stable, and it's doing the dist-upgrade now. However, I couldn't change the updates line from stable to unstable, because it didn't find the source.

And since if I've upgraded to stable, theoretically, I wouldn't want stable updates interfering with my system. Or do I still need it?