system fonts changed [solved]

marcrob

Hi All,

I'm a linux newbie.

I was looking for good boot themes and i was going through few articles. I found one of them it said do "urpmi bootsplash" and i did it. It completely changed my fonts now my system looks really ugly with those fonts. I dont know how to restore my system back. is there a way that i can restore my system or a way to change these fonts.

I tried to change the fonts through control center. But it didnt help me.

By the way I'm using mandriva 2006 with KDE 3.4

he had a typo, what he meant was:

fc-cache -v

(AFAIK, -r isn't a valid option for fc-cache)

You'll need to restart X then, which is most easily done by either rebooting or pressing CTRL+ALT+BKSP

Hi tyme

It was turned on. I doubled checked it and its turned on. But still the same.

I have attached my font settings here. Any advice to make it look good will be really appreciated. I really dont want to install it again. I just got my WiFi up and having fun.

Thanks

Marc

post-14943-1149996143_thumb.jpg

You should check few things...

1. Create a new test account and login to that account. If you have no trouble with the new account, then simply delete your current kde settings (stored in ~/.kde), this should fix the problem

2. If you have the same with the test account, the problem is systemwise... First off, are there any error messages in the X startup log in /var/log/? Check whether the new theme overwrites xorg.conf, and whether the font server config file is Okay; check whether the new theme installs/replaces fonts' check whether the freetype fonts are available.

It may be worthwhile to download that rpm again, and inspect its content with rpm or a similar tool. You want to find out which files that package changed/installed. As a lst resort, try uninstalling that package with urpme.

I have created a new test account..........settings are perfect. No trouble with the new account.

Now, How do i delete these current settings in my account. And get back the default settings....

Is it just deleting everthing under [marc@localhost .kde]$......(rm -rf under .kde)

Bcos it has few dirs and symlinks under it and i'm not sure if i have to delete those too....

I'm a noob....

Thanks,

Marc

he had a typo, what he meant was:

fc-cache -v

(AFAIK, -r isn't a valid option for fc-cache)

Oops typo sorry, fc-cache -r forces a complete rebuild, even if a valid cache exists (from fc-cache --help: -r, --really-force erase all existing caches, then rescan)

Now, How do i delete these current settings in my account. And get back the default settings....

Is it just deleting everthing under [marc@localhost .kde]$......(rm -rf under .kde)

Bcos it has few dirs and symlinks under it and i'm not sure if i have to delete those too....

Try deleting all directories in your home which have .font in it first (2 files and 1 dir on my system)

You don't have to delete .kde, just rename it *with all its content". It is better if you do it from console, when KDE is down. While in KDE press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, this should kill Xserver. Instead you will get a big black console. In the command prompt type this:

cd ~/
mv .kde .kde-backup
startx

Then KDE will start again afresh. Old settings are saved in .kde-backup. If you like, you can now compare the new and old settings file by file to find out which settings caused the problem.

Thanks for the replies

I renamed the .kde and did a startx. It actually changed everything except my font. My font is still the same i did the anti-alising and did a reboot and every possible combination.And also checked the fonts in control center. But it didnt change my font.

Well, i can use the other account but i need to copy my files into that..................

Thanks

Thanks for the replies

I renamed the .kde and did a startx. It actually changed everything except my font. My font is still the same i did the anti-alising and did a reboot and every possible combination.And also checked the fonts in control center. But it didnt change my font.

Well, i can use the other account but i need to copy my files into that..................

Thanks

hmm... did you follow ffi's suggestion and flushed .font, etc? There could be some theme specific settings saved in other hidden dirs, you might want to check that as well...