Migration from Kmail to Evolution [solved]

Ironfighter

Sorry if I am confusing you coverup - I have a way of doing that to people :).

I would have settled for just copying messages I had in a folder I created in Kmail which I called "Saved" but it seems I ended up with some shared folders. This is no longer the case as I (sad to say in a moment of madness) deleted the "Saved"folder from Kmail. This would be fine with me if Evolution was running properly. So what I have now is Kmail running fine (but with no "Saved" messages) and Evolution running poorly (taking forever to "Fetch mail") but with all my saved messages.

Regarding your second question:

Second thing, double check to make sure you don't have symlinks pointing to themselves - well, mistakes happen...

I though I might have done this - so that is what I was looking for / trying to delete.

I think I have probably created enough havoc with my current set up to warrant removing all the current folders and settings for Evolution and starting afresh but the only place I can access my "Saved" messages from is Evolution. Perhaps I should change my tag Line to something like "I am in a maze of my own creating"

I could give up on this I suppose and just settle for using Kmail but I don't really want to do that. So I suppose I have got to figure out what I am going to do with that "Saved" folder an the messages it contains.

Yes, I would suggest starting afresh. First, backup ~/.evolution and the shared email directory, I call it ~/shared for the sake of example.

/usr/lib/evolution/2.0/killev
mv ~/shared ~/shared-backup
mv ~/.evolution ~/.evolution-backup
mv ~/.gnome2_private/Evolution ~/.gnome2_private_backup/Evolution 
mv ~/.gconf/apps/evolution ~/.gconf-backup/apps/evolution

The second last line backups Evo accounts, and the last line backups some evo settings. Don't ask me why the settings are scattered all over the place - I was always curious myself.

You may want to backup kmail mail directory as well.

Logout, then login again (in case you deleted some of the vital gnome dirs - they will be re-created on login). Now start evolution, and create a new account using the wizzard. This will be your everyday account.

Next, create another account, solely for the purpose of transfering kmail mail to evolution; let's call it kmail-test. When you are asked to select Server type, select "Maildir format mail directories", and point it to the directory in which kmail mail is storred (~/.Mail on my box). The new account kmail-test will appear on the left, in addition to the previously created one. Browse this new account, locate the folder you wish to import to evolution, and drag it to your main account. For instance drop it on the main account Inbox folder. This should create a new subfolder in Inbox, containing your kmail email. Repeat the procedure for all kmail folders you wish to transfer. After you finish, you can delete the account kmail-test.

The next step will be to import mail from ~/.shared-backup. But first let me know how did it go with kmail stuff.

Edited by coverup