printer not detected

mystified

I set up my printer. All went well and then I tried to use it today. It couldn't find it. So I deleted it from mcc and tried to add it again and it can't detect a printer at all. Obviously I need a printer so any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's a HP 3520, which is well support, uses a usb port.

The only thing I can think of is the BIOS option for Plug and Play. My laptop wouldn't detect the printer until I turned this off.

Saying that, I'd also check that the harddrake service is enabled and running as well, as sometimes I find my usb devices don't get detected and enabled if this service is not enabled at boot.

chkconfig --list

will provide the service list, and see if you have "on", most important is 3 and 5. You can check it's running as well with:

service harddrake status

although, it might be case sensitive, so however it appears in the chkconfig list, type as HardDrake, or however the casing happens to be (my example lower case because I can't check it right now :P )

What suprises me is that Mysti has been using it OK till now and I guess she made no changes in anything to cause this problem. Therefore I don't think PlugNPlay or harddrake being on or off will make a difference.

Try a replacement cable, or try under Windows (ugh) or try another machine. Mysti, I think you may have a cactus printer.

John.

That happened to me a few times with a hp printer running on the parallel port.

I first looked into the BIOS and the parallel port was correctly set to EPP + ECP. Then I tried the cable. Then tried removing and reinstalling the printer it through the mcc. Nothing seemed to help, so I did this:

Unistalled (deleted) printer through mcc. Removed all hpxxx packages from the software. Then reinstalled the hp parallel port printer. Of course I got a prompt to reinstall those hpxxx packages in the process. Now it works fine.

Only when I install one of those hp FAX+printer+scanner+copier (Office jet 710) as a second unit, is it when this problem happens to me.

On my other computer with a hp psc1100 running via USB, the same thing happens to the psc after installing an Office jet 710 (with built-in FAX) as a second printer. The repair proceedure is also the same.

Cheers,

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

I'd take john's advice. try replacing the cable, and also try switching which USB port you have it connected to on the computer.

I still think it's the gremlins, though.

Well I tried to configure it in Windows since it's connected to my lappy and I dual boot. Windows couldn't detect it either so I'm first going to try replacing the usb cable and then if all else fails try another printer. Hopefully though replacing the cables will work. And I only have one usb port on my lappy. :P