Can't start X [solved]

Per

I have an nVidia graphics card, but I'm running unacceleratd X because the nVidia installer wants gcc4.1 and a couple of conflicts prevents me from upgrading from gcc4.0 at the moment. Yesterday X started to use all available CPU and I decided to restart X (I boot to the command line). As X was behaving so sluggish I decided that it would take too long to exit X through the menu so I used <CTRL>+<ALT>+<BackSpace>. When restarting X I get a blue screen with an 'X'-shaped mouse pointer and these messages repeated in the terminal (<CTRL>+<ALT>+<F1>):

AUDIT: Tue Jun 6 07:12:37 2006: 25966 X: Client1 rejected from local host

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Xlib: No protocol specified

(the time is increased with 2 seconds between each message). After exiting X through <CTRL>+<ALT>+<BackSpace> I get these messages:

FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.

giving up.

xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server

xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

/usr/bin/xauth: creating new authority file /home/per/.Xauthority

Searching the Internet I have found the tip that removing the ~/.Xauthority file could fix the problem, but unfortunately it didn't. I am running Mandriva Cooker and have searched the Cooker mailing list archives, but not found anything.

I am not sure this will help but i found this once and keep changing each time i see it get commented out

# Core config for 1st local display

[X-:0-Core]

# The VT the X-server should run on; auto-assign if zero, don't assign if -1.

# Better leave it zero and use ServerVTs.

# Default is 0

ServerVT=7

this is in the file

/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc

i found i have errors if i dont have the ServerVT=7

Hope this helps you i am on the same level of upgrade as you yesterdays cooker,

I am not sure this will help but i found this once and keep changing each time i see it get commented out

# Core config for 1st local display

[X-:0-Core]

# The VT the X-server should run on; auto-assign if zero, don't assign if -1.

# Better leave it zero and use ServerVTs.

# Default is 0

ServerVT=7

this is in the file

/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc

i found i have errors if i dont have the ServerVT=7

Hope this helps you i am on the same level of upgrade as you yesterdays cooker,

There defietely was some error with the file you mention. It contained ShowUser=All on the first line followed by more than 14000 lines of AllowShutdown=All. I deleted all lines except the first two and added the lines you mentions, but the problem persists.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I can start X as root, but not as a normal user.

I managed to start X. startx still doesn't work, though. I tried xinit and got the error message (translated to English) Unknown switch -n. I changed the link etc/alternatives/xvt and pointed it to /usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt instead of /usr/bin/konsole. Then I could start X (wihout window manager) with startx and start KDE with startkde.