Nvidia problems

lawsonrc

As a siIver member of the Mandriva Club,I recently used the Mandrake Club's Kiosk to upgrade KDE from 3.4 to 3.5.

I am now only successfully able to use the NVIDIA FX 5200 generic, since I can't get into XOrg, or level 5/graphical using the NVIDIA driver.

Here is part of my error message if I try to use the full NVIDIA drive with 3D:

"Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so....ERROR: API mismatch. The NVIDIA kernel module has the version 1.0-7676, but this X module has the version 1.0-8756. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version...."

I then went back to the Kiosk and downloaded drivers for Mandriva 2006, which included both the NVIDIA 1.0-7676 and the version 1.0-8756, along with other drivers. I thought that this would get rid of the conflict, but it didn't.

I'm a very dependent "Point and Click" type of guy, so if I need to edit the XF86config file, please help me out with clear, step-by-step/easy to read and intrepret directions for a "non-geek". Will I need to install the NVIDIA version 1.0-8756 from either the NVIDIA website or by plf?

***I would think that I already have this driver, since I downloaded all the drivers from the Kiosk. Since that should be the case, how do I get the two NOT to conflict?*** (asterisks used for emphasis).

Here is my XF86 config file with the generic. Before I had the /usr/X22R6/lib/...... in it

and I had changed "nv" to "nvidia", but it did not work.

Section "Files"
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Plug'n Play"
ModelName "A90f+"
HorizSync 30-86
VertRefresh 50-150

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576"	 50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576"	 63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
Driver "nv"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 8
	Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 15
	Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 16
	Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 24
	Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Many thanks for anyone who can help me.

Richard L.

Is your kernel and kernel-source matching?

[ian@esprit ~]$ uname -r
2.6.12-22mdk
[ian@esprit ~]$ ls -l /usr/src
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root  18 Jun  2 18:27 linux -> linux-2.6.12-22mdk/
drwxr-xr-x  21 root root 760 Jun  2 18:54 linux-2.6.12-22mdk/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 800 Jun  2 17:49 nvidia-8762-0.1.20060plf/
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root 168 Jan 31 13:37 RPM/

could be a mismatch, causing the problem. My example above, shows my kernel matching my source, just something to check.....just in case. The other, is if dkms is installed:

rpm -qa | grep dkms

you should have dkms-minimal and dkms, as well as dkms-nvidia. Reboot is required to get the module injected into the kernel, but if they don't match, it won't get injected, and you'll remain at the wrong module version.

Also, the driver line must read "nvidia" in order to work. Note that there are no capital letters. Syntax is important.

Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly.

Ian, here is what I got from the commands you gave me:

[rcl@localhost ~]$ uname -r

2.6.12-12mdk

[rcl@localhost ~]$ ls -l usr/src

ls: usr/src: No such file or directory

[rcl@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep dkms

dkms-nvidia-7676-5mdk

dkms-2.0.5.9-3mdk

dkms-minimal-2.0.5.9-3mdk

[rcl@localhost ~]$

I'm not sure how to intrepret all this, but it seems like the kernel doesn't match by looking at the kdms, and the dkms-nvidia is not the correct one after the upgrade. Also, I don't know why I'm getting ls:usr/src: No such file or directory. What are the next steps I need to take?

Ixthusdan, thanks for the reminder of changing "nv" to "nvidia".

Richard L.

The reason the directory does not exist is because installing the kernel sources creates the directory /usr/src.

Please install the kernel-source-2.6.12-12mdk package, and then reinstall the nvidia driver.

As root, type

urpmi kernel-source-2.6.12-12mdk

BUT

If I remember correctly, the latest kernel security update is 2.6.12-22. Therefore, I would recommend that you first do a kernel update (kernel and kernel source) in order to fix security issues and then install the nvidia drivers.

Almost:

urpmi kernel-2.6.12.22mdk

and:

urpmi kernel-source

and then pick the kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12.22mdk or something along those lines. The entries are numbered, one is stripped, but I don't normally use this, but it might be enough to compile against. I tend to prefer the full source. The other source is multimedia, you won't need this one.

Thanks xoox and Ian,

I went into Mandriva Control Center and looked at my packages that are already installed and found the following. Do I need to remove/uninstall any, which may be causing a conflict? Here they are:

kernel-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-2.6.12.22mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-source-stripped-2.6.12-22mdk

nvidia-kernel-2.6.12-12mdk-7676-1mdk

I'm thinking that maybe some of the duplicates need to be uninstalled, but I need expert advise on this. In addition, if you read carefully my original message it said:

"Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so....ERROR: API mismatch. The NVIDIA kernel module has the version 1.0-7676, but this X module has the version 1.0-8756. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version...."

This means I need the NVIDIA kernel module for version 1.0-8756, I think. I thought this got downloaded from the KIOSK with the drivers 2006, which listed both nvidia drivers in the list, but apparently I don't have 1.0-8756.

Here is my last attempt with command lines:

Password:

[root@localhost ~]# uname -r

2.6.12-22mdk

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep dkms

dkms-nvidia-7676-5mdk

dkms-2.0.5.9-3mdk

dkms-minimal-2.0.5.9-3mdk

[root@localhost ~]# urpmi nvidia-kernel-2.6.12-22mdk-8756-1mdk

no package named nvidia-kernel-2.6.12-22mdk-8756-1mdk

[root@localhost ~]#

1. How do I install the nvidia driver for 8756, since it didn't install with the drivers 2006 from the Kiosk?

2. What do I need to uninstall from the list from MCC, if anything?

You guys have all been a great help and I appreciate your input very much.

P.S. Right now I'm able to boot into MDV 2006 by using the NVIDIA FX5200 (Generic) with "nv".

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc

First type uname -r to determine your kernel.

and then ls -al /usr/src to determine if you´ve got the right kernel-source. If both are 2.6.12-22mdk, then you can install the nVidia-driver with urpmi, with the following command and if you´ve added the PLF-sources to you´re urpmi configuration: urpmi nvidia-xorg

This means I need the NVIDIA kernel module for version 1.0-8756, I think.

You're correct, you need NVIDIA kernel module for version 1.0-8756.

Here is my last attempt with command lines:

dkms-nvidia-7676-5mdk

This "dkms-nvidia" is what would eventually become the NVIDIA kernel module. You need to obtain dkms-nvidia-8756, and to uninstall -7676, in addition to obtaining kernel-source.

Thanks Gul and Chalex20,

Here are the results of the commands you asked me to use. I don't see a kernel-source mentioned, but I see two versions in the second and third lines.

I appreciate your help. (The second day I was in Amsterdam I was in Dam Square and watched the Queen lay the wreath in memory of the victims who had fallen in World War II. I was awestruck by the entire ceremony. Being Jewish and knowing the love and support the Dutch gave us made it so much more meaningful to me personally).

Thank you , too Chalex20, you and I were posting at the same time. Can you give me step-by-step instructions that would be easy for me to follow your advice?

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc

I appreciate your help. (The second day I was in Amsterdam I was in Dam Square and watched the Queen lay the wreath in memory of the victims who had fallen in World War II. I was awestruck by the entire ceremony. Being Jewish and knowing the love and support the Dutch gave us made it so much more meaningful to me personally).

Unfortunately things are changing over here and these these it is again not wise anymore to be a jew in Amsterdam :cry:

edit: to keep my post a bit on topic, why don´ you try adding mde´s repositries, they have the latest kernel and kernel sources and nvidia drivers....

Edited by ffi