Trying to find a true FTP Proxy package

ianw1974

I have squid installed as my http proxy, which works perfectly fine. This will handle ftp also, but if it comes directly from your web browser. I've not been able to successfully configure an FTP client to work with squid.

I found two ftp proxy packages, one called ftpproxy (ftp.proxy) or frox. However, neither seem to be intuitive, and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to get them working. ftpproxy starts on my machine perfectly fine, but I just can't get my clients to integrate with it.

If anyone has configured ftpproxy or frox, I'd be very grateful of how you managed to get it working.

• 5 months later...

They only do rpm for suse and you shouldn't really install these on mandy or any other rpm distro.

Your only way forward is to compile. And it seems you have some gcc components missing.

Do:

rpm -qa | grep gcc

to see what you have installed.

Could you post more than the last line of the error, we might be able to find out what it's wanting.

From the above, I've no idea, since I don't compile much anyway. But here are the results of a google I did:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s...earch&meta=

and here is a particular post relating to Mandriva:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...ad.php?t=461804

maybe it'll help.

I can't either :P

The last link I provided hinted at some packages to make sure you had installed - I'm guessing that you've read and checked this?!?

If so, and you have them installed and it's still not working, I've no idea as the error you posted doesn't give me much information to work with unfortunately. Google did give me some results, but you'd have to go through them all and try them to see at fixing your problem.

I'm gonna show you a nice command called urpmf. It's a great utility for searching through your urpmi repositories to find a package you want.

For example, from my system:

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name automake
automake1.8
automake1.8
automake1.7
automake1.4

so that's your first problem solved about automake being missing. It's in the urpmi repository, so now all you need to do is install with this:

urpmi automake

job done. Now I used the same command again for autoconf:

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name autoconf
autoconf2.1
autoconf2.5
autoconf2.1
autoconf2.5

you can install this now too. Unfortunately, no package called aclocal or autoheader. So let's see what we can do next. Try:

urpmf --files aclocal

and repeat for autoheader. It seems it's in a lot of files, but the common one here is that it's in automake. I found this from my results, so install the top two packages I mentioned, and see how you get on.

Try to remember this command, it's very helpful for solving your own problems, and helps you learn a bit more along the way. It's very easy to ask questions, but it's even better to try as well.

Alternatively to the command line, you can go into Install Software and do the same type of searches that I've done from the command line - in case you prefer the gui.

• 2 weeks later...