Wireless Card Driver

Guest unkle

Guest unkle

Hi

a friend reccommended that I try linux as an alternative to windows, so today I downloaded and installed Mandriva 2006 and set it up to dual boot on my computer. Initially I was very impressed however was a bit gutted to discover that it could not pick up my LINKSYS WMP54G wireless card.

I have had a search around various forums looking for help on this issue as I would really like to continue using linux, but feel a bit hampered by the lack of an internet connection. Obviously not being a 'pro' at linux I got a bit stuck trying to solve the problem. :wall:

Firstly I tried to install the drive using ndiswrapper, but it wasnt picking it up, so I tried a few others and still no joy. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Teh Unk :)

ndiswrapper should work just fine. I copy the driver from my windows partition into my /home partition and load it from there. Since I am unsure what the problem is, why not offer somw more details, step by step, as to what you are doing to load ndiswrapper. After installing the rpm, you must use the Mandriva Command Center to identify a wireless device and then configure the device. It is a multi-step process, but has worked for me just fine.

My roommate never could get his LINKSYS WMP54G wireless working, after trying for a month. He ended up going out and buying a different card which he was able to get to work. The Linksys card is now used as a paperweight. He had tried ndiswrapper with no success.