All new PCs must be Linux-friendly

ilia_kr

So, we'll be getting more Linux friendly hardware - or so the theory goes. Is this going to change China, making it more open and transparent? No. In fact, the technology may well be used in the other direction.

A separation of Freedom; free software does not mean free speech and free speech doesn't mean free software. Open Source doesn't mean transparency of government. And, since I'm stating things that should be obvious, the sky is blue.

Which what I was thinking too when I started reading the article. Microsoft they can't control/modify but linux they can...

Also keep in mind that a huge amount of computer hardware is made in Taiwan rather than Mainland China which means that the Manufacturers are being advised to not manufacture their products so as to impede Linux uptake as Microsoft, Intel, MIAA and the RIAA and others would like to be done.

This is one of the biggest challenges of the future.

Cheers. John.

Interesting, John. That would imply that the Chinese government is indeed pulling a fast one on windows. Could it be that there is a private discussion going on that Redmond seems to be losing?

I think Taiwan (I believe they represent the legitimate governmant of China but for simplicities sake I will refer to the mainland as China and the island as Taiwan) would be shooting itself in the foot if they did that, production would just move to China. Taiwan would loose, not MS.....

One concern however has been the coperation of MS (and google and yahoo) with the chinese government in censoring the internet.

(and now weren´t it China, North Korea, Brazil, Cuba and Iran which complained to the UN that it was intolerable that the US controled the DNS backbone)

I think Taiwan (I believe they represent the legitimate governmant of China but for simplicities sake I will refer to the mainland as China and the island as Taiwan) would be shooting itself in the foot if they did that, production would just move to China. Taiwan would loose, not MS.....

Coming from that region, and having a lot of chinese friends as well, the situation there might not be as simple as you think ;) if you wish to discuss this, let's take this into the "off the wall" forum shall we?

I think my point still stands. Taiwan would not be shooting itself in the foot. How could it be when its products would be more unversally acceptable to everyone including Linux users.

John.

Interesting, John. That would imply that the Chinese government is indeed pulling a fast one on windows. Could it be that there is a private discussion going on that Redmond seems to be losing?
well, when president Who?..I mean Hu was here a month ago, he visited Bill Gates before meeting with the president of the counrty he was a guest in for political reasons. MS ain't missing out on anything I'm sure. China wants Taiwan, and since we won't let them have it, they'll take what it wants from it. ;) Traitor Gates will be more than happy I'm sure. Edited by bvc