internet too slow [solved]

marcrob

Hi All,

I have just installed Mandriva Linux 2006 ( Free ) on Dell 600m Laptop. I really liked the GUI. But my internet is too slow when i connect to the LAN. I also have a built in wireless card but i'm not worried about WiFi right now. I want to boost my internet speed. With windows its fast, but slow with Linux. Need help on this

Thanks

Linux Newbie

Welcome to the board :beer:

If you're using Firefox, type "about:config" without the quotes in the url bar, and then type "ipv6" to filter for this option. Set it to "True" to disable ipv6.

If that doesn't resolve it, it's most likely system-wide ipv6 causing the issue, so edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add the following line:

alias net-pf-10 off

system will require a reboot for this to take effect though. Something else worth checking is /etc/resolv.conf and make sure you don't have any search lines in there. It should normally only display "nameserver" entries. Search lines can sometimes slow DNS queries, especially if they are uncontactable.

Not entirely sure why it's enabled by default. You normally need special hardware to take advantage of it, routers, etc, etc. It's probably a long way off yet before anything goes ipv6.

Quite a few distros have it enabled by default, or at least from the ones I've used.