what wireless card?

I have tried many linux distros mandriva,suse,pclinuxos,linux xp, ubuntu just to name a few on my packard bell laptop and not one of them will work with my wireless network card. My first choice of OS is Suse then Mandriva does any one know of a wireless card that will work with linux no problem IE plug in the card install linux then just configure it without using ndiswrapper hopefully

thanks in advance

ps i live in the UK

Hello.

I'd recommend you to update your kernel first. My wireless card didn't work until I updated to kernel version 2.6.14. Now it even shows the signal strength. It measures the signal strength only on boot, not later anymore. Maybe that feature comes later (or maybe I need to configure something) but I'm happy now. If you need any help updating your kernel, try searching this board, it's full of those urpmi guides.

My wireless card is A-Link WL54PC PCMCIA card. But if you have a wireless adapter already installed in your laptop, don't buy a new one, just keep trying to get that one working.

Good Luck. :thumbs:

the best i can tell you about the card is it's AboCom Systems, Inc. - Networking - 802.11g Wireless MiniPCI Card Texas Instruments network software update released on December 01 2004.

I'm sorry but thats all the info i have on the card there is no documentaion for it the info i have supplied i got off the MS update site thats why i was thinking of getting a new card one that will run under linux with ease or one that was intendid for linux aswell as windoze

thanks

To check kernel version:

uname -r

if using Mandriva, you can get the latest kernel using:

urpmi kernel-2.6.12.22mdk

however, you need to have set up your easyurpmi sources using the link at the top of this page to get this.

studmuffin - as your first choice is Suse, I've moved this topic to Other Distros to avoid confusion. If you need advice for Mandriva, please start a new thread in Hardware. Thanks. :)

the only reason my first choice is suse on the laptop is because mandriva will not install with the network card i have otherwise it would be mandriva

thanks