Freespace 1 installer

DOlson

Does this work for you? It works for me, but I can't play the game after. It just returns to the prompt and doesn't report any errors at all. I'm on Debian Unstable. I'll try it on Mandrake 9.0 later.

http://icculus.org/~ravage/freespace/

hey i have been looking for the installer as i found freespace 1 and it's expansion in a store for like almost nothing and i remember seeing that it was supposed to be possible to get it going in linux.

I will have a go later tonight hopefully

Cheers

Ok, I DL'd the installer, ran it. When I first tried to run freespace I got an error in that the openal libraries weren't installed. So installed the ones from the Mandrake CDs. Now I try to run freespace and get nothing...

Using Mandrake 8.2...

Any suggestions???

Well, I created a user with my login name by duping the root.vp file, then I had to change the permissions of the entire contents of the /usr/local/games/freespace subdirectory to the user name I would be running under... then it works...

Apparently, this game does not differentiate between multiple users. It's a one user only game.

Ok, I DL'd the installer, ran it. When I first tried to run freespace I got an error in that the openal libraries weren't installed. So installed the ones from the Mandrake CDs. Now I try to run freespace and get nothing...

Using Mandrake 8.2...

Any suggestions???

does mandrake use a recent OpenAL?

Any idea how to get it to run at fullscreen and/or a higher resolution?

to run in fullscreen, set Fullscreen=1 in FreeSpace.ini

I don't think it's possible to play in anything higher than 640x480.

Well, I created a user with my login name by duping the root.vp file, then I had to change the permissions of the entire contents of the /usr/local/games/freespace subdirectory to the user name I would be running under... then it works...

Apparently, this game does not differentiate between multiple users. It's a one user only game.

the latest FS2 CVS adds userdir support ($HOME/.freespace2/). The latest FS1 patch has this also but uses .freespace

hey i have been looking for the installer as i found freespace 1 and it's expansion in a store for like almost nothing

$9.95 @ The Warehouse? :lol:

Ravage,

Thanks for the tip on how to run Fullscreen...

My eyes were straining looking at that little window.

Apparently the RPM for OpenAL that is found on the Mandrake CDs from version 8.2 on is adequate for playing FreeSpace.

My problem came from not being able to have home directory support. I "fixed" it by changin my permissions. It's not a biggie for me, as I'm the only one who will be playing it on this machine. Besides I like the installer. I'm not big on compiling CVSs. Too much work.

Does this work for you? It works for me, but I can't play the game after. It just returns to the prompt and doesn't report any errors at all. I'm on Debian Unstable. I'll try it on Mandrake 9.0 later.

http://icculus.org/~ravage/freespace/

Ok, I have downloaded the installer, ran it, installed the game from disc 1 into /home/user/freespace which gave me a KDE menu entry. When I click on the entry a 640x480 screen opens and immediately closes. When i try to run the game from a console I get the following error:

Error: (src/gamesnd/eventmusic.cpp:1061): Unable to parse music.tbl! Code = 5.

Segmentation fault

Anyone any ideas?

Celeron 500, ML9.0 , KDE3.0.4

Dave Le Huray

Guernsey, Channel Islands

the latest FS2 CVS adds userdir support ($HOME/.freespace2/).  The latest FS1 patch has this also but uses .freespace

That is cool... So I take it that the version in your installer uses an older FS2 CVS snapshot? Your page mentions that you're gonna make a newer installer sometime. Can you post a message here when you do? Pretty please, with a cherry on top? Thanks dude!

Ok, I have downloaded the installer, ran it, installed the game from disc 1 into /home/user/freespace which gave me a KDE menu entry. When I click on the entry a 640x480 screen opens and immediately closes. When i try to run the game from a console I get the following error:

Error: (src/gamesnd/eventmusic.cpp:1061): Unable to parse music.tbl!  Code = 5.

Segmentation fault

Anyone any ideas?

Celeron 500, ML9.0 , KDE3.0.4

Dave Le Huray

Guernsey, Channel Islands

Try installing the RPMs for the OpenAL library.

Note:

Once you get a certain distance into the campaign, crashes begin to happen.

Also, there tends to be laggs associated with play. The graphics and gameplay are sometimes very fast. Other times it is normal to slow in speed. It seems to happen mostly when there are very close enemy ships. It may be lags due to sound related issues,... anybody with a suggestion will be appreciated.

wtf? are you from NZ?

And yes thats where i got it.

Yep. I was looking at getting it off ebay or amazon but I found it there at The Warehouse :)

the latest FS2 CVS adds userdir support ($HOME/.freespace2/).  The latest FS1 patch has this also but uses .freespace

That is cool... So I take it that the version in your installer uses an older FS2 CVS snapshot? Your page mentions that you're gonna make a newer installer sometime. Can you post a message here when you do? Pretty please, with a cherry on top? Thanks dude!

Yes, it was from built from cvs on 24th December 2002. The only real change I know of since then is the userdir support. I'm trying to build a binary now for both FS1 and FS2 from current cvs. I'll try to remember to post when it's done.

wtf? are you from NZ?

And yes thats where i got it.

Yep. I was looking at getting it off ebay or amazon but I found it there at The Warehouse :)

cool .. another NZer 8)

but how can you use telecom jetstart ... I hate telecom :evil: at least johnnyv is an ihug user :wink:

I've got 802.11b wireless ... not associated with any ISP :D ... I can pick who I want to buy my data from 8)